Stop Educating Minds. Start Educating Hearts

The solution to our problems: moral education

264

I sometimes ask myself this question: What does this world need?

Every single time, I come up with the same answer: What this world desperately needs is a change.

A necessity

People are being lied to, robbed, bullied, shot, and killed every single day.

The world has become a violent place filled with suffering. A change in the world and its society has become a necessity.

But how do we change it?

The only way to change them is by changing what makes the individuals of the society be who they are and act the way they do: education.

We must redefine education’s purpose in order to change the society we live in. I firmly believe that the purpose of education must be to develop individuals’ character by educating morals and social justice and provide school and college students with the tools that they need to be change-makers in the society they live in.

My argument

Is there a difference between a doctor and someone who will do anything to save other people’s lives? Is there a difference between a lawyer and someone who will stand up against injustice no matter what?

Yes, the difference is their morals.

Although many individuals believe that educating the mind is far more important than educating the heart, they fail to see that, as Aristotle once said,

educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.

Throughout our lives, we encounter extremely smart professionals with no morals at all. Several doctors, lawyers, businessmen, and presidents are brilliant in terms of the brain, but horrible in terms of the heart. Why should society concentrate in the development of exceptional doctors, incredible lawyers, amazing businessmen, and revolutionary presidents, if these professionals will do their job to satisfy no one's needs but their own?

If through education we are raising our future leaders, workers, and parents, we must make sure that they will lead, work and live with values and morals.

The benefits

Moral education encourages individuals to be honest, responsible, tolerant, patient, altruistic, and kind. This type of education develops each children’s character and inspires them to be the best person they can be.

Children would be honest to their family members, friends, and teachers and this would positively contribute to their relationship with them. Also, they would be responsible while doing the things they are meant to do such as homework, studying, being respectful, etc.

In addition, children will also learn how to build relationships with people who are not involved in their family and school’s circle. Due to the fact that this world is culturally diverse, it is truly important to teach children to be tolerant of others’ values, beliefs, and cultures.

By teaching children to be altruistic and kind, we will raise a generation of people that will help each other every single time they are able to. This new selfless generation will strive to alleviate others’ problems without expecting something in return.

Wait. There's more

Nel Noddings, in A Morally Defensible Mission for Schools in the 21st Century, also argues that education must strive to

encourage the growth of competent caring, loving, and lovable people.

This great educational philosopher believes that by teaching the importance of values and morals to children, we are changing their own lives and the lives of those around them.

Truth is, children who are kind, altruistic, and tolerant will turn out to be caring, loving, and lovable people. But, although moral education is of significant importance, schools must also teach students about social responsibility to develop the individuals’ character.

The world does not only need tolerant people, but also people who will fight against intolerance. Similarly, society does not only need non-violent people but also people who will stop the violence.

To raise children to be socially responsible, education must be empowering, participatory, experiential, activist, and academically rigorous.

If schooling teaches moral education and the promotion of social justice, children will be caring, loving, and lovable people and also socially responsible and active.

The other argument

Several advocates may argue that school must not waste its time teaching moral education and social justice because morals and justice differ from individual to individual because of the way raised and place they were born at.

Clearly, these people fail to recognize that although there are differences between cultures, countries, and families, there are similar values that exist in every one of them.

Values such as kindness, honesty, altruism, tolerance, empathy, and patience should be practiced by each member of the society no matter their age, gender, or cultural background.

On the other hand, several people believe that morals are not something that can be taught because there are plenty of other subjects that are time-consuming. Actually, schooling can teach values through several subjects such as literature, history, science, mathematics, and much more.

In conclusion

Would you like to be lied to? Would you like to be robbed by politicians? Would you like your children to be bullied? Would you like your loved ones to suffer from intolerance?

If your answer is no, then, you comprehend the importance of moral education.

Would you like more people to fight against inequality? Would you like the younger generations to volunteer more and make an impact in their community?

If your answer is yes, then, you also recognize how important the promotion of social justice is.

Sadly, many people nowadays are being lied to, robbed, bullied, shot, and killed due to the lack of morals and justice that exist in the world.

By educating morals and encouraging social justice in children and the youth, we could raise a society that will soon impact the world for the better.

Individuals in the society will not only be honest, altruistic, patient, and empathetic but also will impact the world around them by promoting social justice and caring for each other.

If change is our goal, moral and social justice education is our hope.