I'm Going To Stop Complaining About Being Single

I am tired of thinking I am going to die old and alone.

56
tuku.cn

My best friend and I have this ongoing joke about how absolutely single we are. When at weddings, we joke about how we will be singing praises because a miracle has just happened. We joke that there are no two girls in the world more single than us. We talk about how we won't mind being single for the rest of our lives because we will have our 10 dogs to keep us company. Under the constant pokes and jokes at each other is this real longing for a relationship. Neither of us have the best track record with men so it aches our hearts a little to see everyone around us get happily ever afters while we can't even get asked out for a cup of coffee. If you read my article Being A Romantic In A Realist World, then you can see why this feeling of constant rejection from men is such a disappointing part of my life.

I don't know about my friend, but I am truly sick and tired of complaining about how single I am. I am sick of constantly worrying about who my husband will be. I am tired of thinking I am going to die old and alone. The truth is, I can't live this way anymore. I can't live with the doubt and fear. I can't live thinking that it's too late for me. I mean, come on, this is a bit dramatic.

An amazing thing happened this morning. While getting ready for church, this article idea just kind of popped in my head. So, I jotted it down real quick in my notes on my phone and headed to church. My pastor opened with 2 Corinthians 4. The verse that stood out to me the most was this:

"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things that are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

2 Corinthians 4: 18, KJV

God doesn't desire that we know the plans for our lives. In fact, many times in the Bible, it says that God almost laughs at our earthly plans. For me, my plan was to find a husband in college, get engaged right before I graduate, get married the next fall and live happily every after. Obviously, God laughed at this plan. Although most days I let it disappoint me, now I realize that his plan is so, so much better than mine. If i would've found my husband by now, there are several amazing adventures that I would've missed out on. It's one of those moments that I am truly grateful for God's unanswered prayers.

In church, they always tell you to pray for your future spouse. To me, that meant pray he gets here sometime soon. I'm beginning to realize what they meant. Of course, pray for your future spouse, but don't rush him/her to find you. Pray that God is doing amazing things in their lives. Pray for their happiness and success. Pray that they are having amazing adventures that you will get to hear all about, one day. Pray that their relationship with God is growing each and every day. Pray that they will love the Lord more than they could ever love you. Also, pray for God's perfect timing; so that, one day, you can have a happily ever after written by the greatest author of love stories ever known.