Stop Asking Me What My Post-Grad Plans Are

I didn’t know yesterday, I definitely don’t know right now, and probably won’t know tomorrow.

13

To everyone graduating soon: I feel you. We don’t know what we want, yet we’re supposed to. I mean, according to our moms and dads, our nosy aunts and uncles, and our far more successful cousins, the only conversations we should be having are about the interview we had last week and your excitement about the one that's flying you to their office in New York a month from now. Well, to all the people who think we have it figured out, we don’t.

You hear the same questions all the time; “Do you know what your plans after graduation are?” “Do you have any idea what you want to do with your life?” Believe me, I am victim of the questions just as much as I am guilty of asking them. You heard it at Thanksgiving, joked about never finding a job at Christmas, and here we are starting the final semester of school and people seem to think that question is the most important thing to throw in your face every time they see you. Who is that fun for, honestly? Because its definitely not fun for me.

Please, just stop. If I knew what my plans were I would have made a life event post on Facebook like my friend when she decided to go vegan, or send out a mass email including a photo of myself like people do when they just had a child; you know, something to brag about when there’s actually a moment to celebrate? Why are you trying to make me celebrate the inevitability that after May 20th, I will be unemployed and trying to find any way to not head back home to the shoebox room that my mom and dad have left me.

I go to a University full of wonderful people who are driven, focused and work exceptionally hard to get what they want, so that means I’m supposed to know what I want, right?. Well, you couldn't be more wrong. Don't get me wrong, it is inspiring, and slightly intimidating, to surround myself with these people with the knowledge that I work every day to be like them. Many people in my position, you know, those of us with the graduation countdown on their phone, might be panicked about jobs and security and just don’t want to face the fate we all know is coming. I on the other hand get more stress from the anxiety of what to eat for dinner every night, trying to keep up my reputation of the best Snapchat Chef around (but not to be compared with Chrissy Teigen, lets not get too wild and crazy).

I am not going to allow the consistent questioning of what I want with my life to get me down, anxious or upset. I’m going to focus on the tomorrow, or how I’m going to be able to afford Coachella and Stagecoach in the same month. I’m going to go to all the fun parties, the traditional trashy bar night on Thursday's, and keep eating my way through the cities I visit because I can and there eventually will come a time that I can’t.

Let us focus on the fact that spring break is a month away and we haven’t bought our cheap flights to Europe, or the punny, cheesy phrase we are going to write on our grad caps. Don’t add to our current, and sometimes rightfully childish problems by asking us about the real world. For now it still doesn’t exist.

So the next time you feel like asking this girl if she has any idea what kind of 9-5 she is going to want following her 23 birthday and graduation, ask her to get food instead. You’ll get a better response.