Let's All Agree To Stop Apologizing For Taking Up Space, It's Just Not Healthy

Let's stop apologizing for existing and allow others the same courtesy.

85

Recently, I have picked up a bad habit.

It's a habit so bad that I am going to make a jar that I will force myself to drop a quarter into when I exhibit this behavior, in the hopes that it will eliminate this habit from my life.

The habit is apologizing unnecessarily.

Sometimes, it's a reflex — like when someone bumps into you and doesn't say anything, so you feel compelled to acknowledge it. Maybe you were in their way.

Other times, it's to stop someone from being angry at you for whatever reason, even though you did nothing wrong.

Whatever the reason, if you're apologizing multiple times a day, or at times when remorse isn't a valid response to the situation, you're apologizing too much.

Some say that this habit is even a sign of anxiety. I believe it.

But it's bad. It's a bad, bad, awful habit to pick up — because you have a right to take up space. You have a right to make little mistakes or to be a little off sometimes. You have a right to be human.

And apologizing for that can be detrimental to your self-worth, as well as how others perceive you.

Don't get me wrong, apologies are important.

Appropriately acknowledging wrongdoing is showing respect for others, and it's not a practice that you should ever give up.

But apologizing for things like burning dinner or dropping something on the floor is not necessary. And if you feel like it is necessary, you may not be existing in a safe or positive environment.

And if you're one of those people who says sorry when it's not needed, then let's kick the habit.

Instead, let's replace the behavior, as Fast Company writer Anisa Purbasari Horton suggests in her piece, "How to Stop Yourself From Saying Sorry All The Time."

Let's get rid of #sorrynotsorry.

Let's turn an unnecessary sorry into a thank you.

Let's be real with ourselves and others, and only apologize when we really mean it.

Deal?