Continue The Discourse

Continue The Discourse

Not because of the content, but because of the implications.

40
Continue The Discourse
www.diplomaframe.com

It is my understanding that I have aroused a good deal of controversy within the Wabash community. As I sit here writing this, my most recent article regarding the state of Wabash College has gained 83 likes and shares on Facebook. It counts as one of the most-viewed articles that I have written during my time with Odyssey.

Many of my Wabash peers have provided thoughtful discourse on the topics I addressed in this piece, and for their contribution I am thankful. Others have taken the opposite stance to make snarky comments among their like-minded friends, nitpicking my words and not really thinking about the underlying message I wanted to provide.

However, as the writer, I recognize that this behavior may highlight contentions with the article. I have wondered if I wasn't clear enough, or if I came off as combative rather than critical. I think that there is a difference, and it is easy to cross that line.

I am not proud enough to not see that a few of my sentiments were perhaps stricken by ill support. Take that as you will. Could some of what I said be products of bitterness? Soul-searching has found that it is possible. What I do believe is that I was upfront about these issues.

I still stand by the article not just as an outright opinion piece, but as one that I still believe contains valuable considerations that do have their nuances. I think that they just need to be expanded upon.

I want to render that this response is partly meant to be an elucidation. It is also meant to be a testament that I still have faith in Wabash College as a liberal arts institution striving to be relevant, but which also has a need to stay close to its roots.

First, I want to extend something of an apology to my peers who are Fijis. I did not intend to call out the house as a whole as acting in that manner. However, I want you all to be honest with me that there are some who have a mind to be haughty, even if there are many more who are not.

However, my bigger point is that such divides should not strike the brotherhood of Wabash Men.

As to my appraisal of Nick Budler's article, my sentiments still stand. I was well aware when I wrote the article that his colleagues came from different disciplines. Even so, this does not escape the fact that those not in the field of business have just as much talent and desire for success. Those four do not define Wabash by themselves.

The individual accomplishments of all of her students, no matter how small, do that.

Now, I want to turn to what has proven to be the most antagonizing element of the article, that of my "calling out" those in Career Services and the C.I.B.E. By Wabash Men who will unconditionally support the virtues of these organizations, I have been ruled as being ungentlemanly. These are individuals who live by the same code, yet they want to put me beneath them because I proposed some general criticism.

But these interactions are not important, and they are to be ignored because they consist of a faction, which I strongly discourage on any level among peers, especially among Wabash Men. Also, pointing out a faction does not constitute as advocating the existence of others. Saying the opposite is complacent and not constructive.

My opinion and criticism should've perhaps come in the form of another question: how do these organizations help Wabash Men who want to not just have a job, but to have a career they can make a difference with?

It is my understanding that the C.I.B.E. is an entity which aims to attract students who have a strong acumen for business and want to develop those related skills. The other part of this is that these students also want to reap the benefits of their liberal arts education.

The other half of the job-searching and networking systems is Career Services, which is present to provide students with information and aid. Their mission is to help the student know where to look, who they can contact and perhaps what positions to pursue.

My new question that I now raise for those involved in these two halves is this: how do you bridge the gap? Moreover, how do you bridge the gap so that all students who seek advice and connections have the same level of opportunity?

While it is up to the student to help his own destiny, Career Services has to do more to get him through the door. An addendum in freshmen orientation has come out of this concern, that of making an early trip to Career Services a requirement. While it does much to prompt students to reach out, Career Services has to enhance their ability to connect students with employers in their desired fields. This element, I feel, has been greatly neglected.

The C.I.B.E. cannot be so narrow-minded in the grand scheme of Wabash, even though its focus is business. This understanding emphasizes why it must aid in the efforts of Career Services and non-business students. A prerogative should be to reach out to alumni across the Divisions. The students who are in foreign languages, history, and English cannot be overturned just because they are not seeking an analyzing job at a tech company — unless they can truly utilize those liberal skills in such a setting.

As for the students not interested in business or finance, and do not want or need to be involved with the C.I.B.E, where do they go?

If they are independent, it is more than likely that they don't go anywhere, except hope that their adventures on Handshake yield some purposeful experience. If they are fraternity men, they already have a leg up through their fraternal connections. The need for career development to be a more encompassing presence becomes all the more important. This essential component cannot stand idly for students to fail in the first place, only to be left wondering if they will succeed in the next try.

These realizations also help us understand the need for Wabash Men to help each other, regardless of class, fraternity vs. independent or major. When we succeed together, we don't just promote a positive environment for our college. We build a more versatile network that transcends job descriptions and earnings.

I hope that these thoughts improve on points made in the previous article. Even so, the controversy has no reason to subside. This is because the discussion is good for all of us. I believe that talking keeps us humble, and can inspire action to preserve the college in all of its better ways. Wabash is not a perfect institution, but could I imagine being anywhere else because of this? The answer is a resounding "no."

This is because I am confident that we know how to think critically, and to find solutions to these issues together. My criticism has come because I am loyal to Wabash, and because I know we can do better.