How 4 Of My Acquaintances Define Wabash College

You don’t go to Wabash, you are Wabash.

50

For those who understand the culture and atmosphere of Wabash College – a small, all-male, liberal arts college of 850 students in Indiana – several key aspects stand out in the students who attend. It is a unique place that develops thinkers, gentlemen, leaders, and humanitarians, allowing students to live up to their true potential and transforming them into contributing members of society.

Although the student body may be small, it is remarkable to see just how many qualities of the Wabash culture can be found in different shapes and sizes, within the majority of the men who attend. It’s an odd thought and a bit of a paradox. The students are vastly unique and individual, yet they embody so many of the same qualities. Often, students think that they are simply putting in the necessary effort to survive the rigorous academic, cultural, or sport philosophy of Wabash, not even realizing that they have grown to embody the qualities of a gentleman from the liberal arts college for men.

So, I will refrain from telling you how a student can go about becoming a Wabash man, for there isn't a handbook. Rather, I will show you via the construction of four students who I happened upon merely a month ago. These individuals have painted a picture of Wabash for me in which one can see their individuality, uniqueness, and stark differences in upbringing as well as their sense of responsibility, brotherhood, compassion, and motivation. Together, these men are Wabash.

This summer, I have been offered an internship in South Bend, Indiana, with housing arrangements bringing me into contact with these four other Wabash students interning in the area, none of whom I was acquainted with in any way prior (astonishing, really, considering the number of students at Wabash) before our meeting at the house.

Let me begin by outlining the character of a peer whom I already consider a good friend: Thanh Tran. Thanh is a rising senior from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, although he was born in a smaller, coastal city. He is a math major, although nobody needs know his major, as it does little to show who he really is as a person and as a student. As my roommate for the last few weeks, I have had the opportunity to have insightful discussions with him on politics, business, the liberal arts, and a variety of other topics in which his cultural background and knowledge has proven fascinating, as he does well to voice his opinions. He has brought to my attention, on numerous occasions, issues that privileged American citizens are often unaware of and he also dramatically widened my perspective on matters that I would otherwise have remained blind to, especially in terms of culture in the United States and the place of the Vietnamese minority in it.

When Thanh has finished fielding my numerous questions on life in Vietnam, he can always be found working. Clocking out of our internship does not mean the end of the day for him. His dedication and interest in the coding work that he does is astonishing. His critical thinking skills are always a reminder that Wabash College nurtures students in being "teachable" and how valuable that skill can be. His story shows how Wabash men are not limited to jobs in their studied fields or even restricted in their thinking by the focus of their studies at school. The academic rigor of the college leads students towards success and he has grabbed hold of as many opportunities he can, a telling of a true Wabash man.

Another of the men I who met is a rare find, having left sunny Arizona for Wabash College’s rhetoric department: Deonte Simpson. In the short time I have known him, his dedication, passion, and drive have stood out to me. Deonte, a rising junior and the only Wabash student from his high school, juggles the difficulties of football, classes, and his desire to succeed in everything with class and determination. His will to help those in his hometown stay out of trouble, to invest in young people’s futures, to build up his home community, and discuss important matters around minority issues are all important to him and he is always willing to engage in riveting arguments.

Deonte, I have noticed, has a unique desire to see right done in the world and he wants to help others lead the best lives that they can. Again, his attitude resonates with the term "Wabash man." He has helped me better understand the meaning of living humanely within a community, to reflect carefully on my own actions, as well as to push me to be a more engaged member of the community. The importance of community had previously meant less to me, but it has been exemplified by Deonte in our time together.

Next, the only native to Indiana and the only one who would likely run its length, is Cordell Lewis. Cordell, a long distance athlete, has refused to be put down by past injury. After surgery on his quadriceps, he embarked on a long journey and recently won a 10k race in South Bend and another 5k in his hometown. He never ceases to amaze the rest of us with his dedication to lengthy runs, sometimes even more than once a day. At Wabash, students are expected to be independent and Cordell has taken this opportunity to work nearly as hard on the running front as he does academically. When he is off of the pavement, he has taken on impressive responsibilities as a physics major and a 3D printing nerd. At his internship, he is the lead on several highly innovative projects. As with Deonte, Cordell continues to show me the true meaning of "student athlete." I have developed a deep respect for the dedication of both of these young men.

Cordell’s persistence and "Wabash Always Fights (Back)" attitude is a constant reminder to me that no hurdle is too big for a Wabash man to overcome. Cordell has also shown me the importance of acting responsibly, being conscious and considerate, and being able to overcome his running injury while striving for success. This attitude has further reminded me that at Wabash, you don’t quit. You push forward in pursuit of your dreams.

Finally, the remaining member of our interesting crew is a music composition major from Texas, Alejandro Reyna. His late addition to our house has been worthwhile, as the sounds of "Hamilton" now float frequently throughout the walls and corridors. Although studying a major erroneously considered somewhat "lesser" academically than economics or science, he has more than proven his worth this summer as a consulting intern and, of course, as the only intern in his field of study (or anything close, for that matter). He also finds the time and energy to be helpful and show a great sense of humor, something that the business world could use more of.

Alejandro leads, effectively, by example here. He goes punch-for-punch with business, finance, and marketing majors. He is a reminder that Wabash does not limit students, but finds opportunities for them to combine their passions with the experience that they seek. Wabash is a place for people like Alejandro, writing scores of music and economic development plans all in a single day. It is a place for people who want to do more than spend their life on a single track and for people who are passionate about learning, not just earning. It has given him the chance to show the business world in which we work that we, in the liberal arts, mean business!

One may not look at any of these individuals and feel like they alone are Wabash College – the school is obviously more than any single person. The combination of these gentlemen I have had the privilege of living with, although all individuals, means that we have Wabash with us in South Bend, away from the classrooms and resident halls in Crawfordsville.

In a hypothetical world where there is only one student at Wabash College, that individual would not have the culture that we are fortunate enough to have, where students instill in each other the qualities that define them as Wabash Men. Wabash College offers students the opportunity to define what the school is: an ever-changing and evolving body of men who carve out their own destiny, using Wabash and their peers to help them find themselves. No man at Wabash is just a number in a system. They are people, men, and individuals who make up something much larger than themselves.

The students of Wabash give life to the mission statement. These four unique personalities are a small, but perfect example of how the college actually comes to fruition. The qualities that these men bring to life in our interactions are combined to create Wabash. Nobody goes to Wabash, they are Wabash.

The buildings on campus could remain forever, but without the men who fill its halls, Wabash is nothing.

Wabash is not made of a place, it is made of people.