Don't Let Life Get In The Way Of Family

Don't Let Life Get In The Way Of Remembering Where You Came From

Sometimes "sticking to your roots" can be tough. But never forget where you came from...

2377
nicolette giambalvo

I was raised in a very close-knit family who had dinners around the table all together every night. Some of my favorite childhood memories come from that 20-year-old wooden table marked with a dozen memories.

But the times of getting to be around my family all the time had to come to an end when I went away to college 4 years ago. Although it was difficult being away from them, I knew that they were just a phone call away and the distance would not have a bearing on our relationship. I would still be able to call them every day, right?

False. Being a full-time college student and trying to make good grades, while holding a part-time job to make extra cash on the side AND still trying to balance a boyfriend and a social life… I barely have time to breathe!

But this is just life. And while it is so easy to get caught up in, I never want it to get in the way of relationships with the people I care about.

I was most reminded of the importance of this when I was in Florida this past weekend for spring break. I was born in Boca Raton and the rest of my big ass Italian and Puerto Rican family still live there. Being so far away with my immediate family in North Carolina, it's so easy to let the distance come between us.

But during the short visit I was there, I was reminded that nothing, not even 800 miles, can pull you away from your roots.

The phrases "stick to your roots" and "never forget where you came from" are ones that I like to think I coincide with. To the best of my ability at least. I was raised saying grace before every meal and that is something that my boyfriend and I still continue to do.

Someday I'll have far more important things to worry about like my career and someday a family to care for and bills to pay. But this is a lesson that I plan to take with me no matter how much life takes over.