Why Steve Irwin Is The Original Wildlife Warrior

Steve was more than just daring leaps and crocodile wrangling; he was one of the greatest conservationists.

102
steveirwinday.org

We lost a legend ten years ago this week by the name of Steve Irwin.

He was killed by a stingray on September 4, 2006 doing what he did best: teaching the world about animals.

His television show, The Crocodile Hunter, featured Steve teaching us about the world's animals, and most famously, teaching us about his beloved crocodiles. I, like many other people across the planet, watched the show because it was fun and captivating, not to mention very inspirational. Looking back, The Crocodile Hunter introduced me to many animals, and crikey mate, did Steve spark my interest in wildlife conservation by showing me those animals... And if I'm being perfectly honest, I'll never be able to give Steve Irwin and his show enough credit for showing me what it is like to be completely dedicated to animals and how to love them unconditionally.

In case you did not have the chance to witness Steve Irwin's magic when he was alive, he was the type of man that everybody loved. He dedicated his life to conservation, and in the end, he literally gave his life to save animals. Steve was a man that said, "I have no fear of losing my life- if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it." Plus, he looked at every animal like it was the most beautiful being on the planet, no matter what type of animal it was.

He was, and still is, arguably one of the most influential conservationists of my generation. However, I often hear that his dealings with animals were too abrasive, and even construed as abusive. For instance, Steve's crocodile captures are criticized, saying that he should have never demonstrated to children his ways of approaching crocodiles, let alone used ropes, duct tape, and a camera crew to jump on their backs and wrestle with them. People also complain about how Steve's practices interfered too much with wild animals, as he showed kids that it's okay to disturb animals and trespass into their habitats.

Yet, although those are good points to bring up, I want to argue one thing: Steve Irwin never told people to do any of the things that he did. All Steve Irwin did was present animals to the world that he felt needed love. And although he presented these animals in an entertaining way, with his dramatic crocodile captures and lizard chases, he told us what we can do to help animals. He told us not to approach animals like he did for his show, but instead urged us to learn about all of the wildlife that we can to help protect them. So, no matter his past methods, Steve deserves credit for sparking a love for animals in all of us.

After all, Steve inspired millions of people across the world to help save wildlife. He taught us that we need to make people care about wildlife and nature, and as he planned, we all watched Steve's television show and we fell in love with animals that not a lot of people seem to think are very lovable. By making himself look like an adrenaline junkie and chasing around animals, we began to care about crocodiles and watched in awe as Steve taught us about them. Steve showed us that we, as human beings, want to save things that we care about, and by making an entertaining show, he made us care about them. Likewise, the proceeds made off of The Crocodile Hunter went back to conservation initatives at the Australia Zoo and other research worldwide. Today, Steve Irwin's foundation, Wildlife Warriors, and the Australia Zoo both dedicate a lot of time, effort and funds to conservation. They are trying to inspire people the way that Steve did, and continue his legacy.

In the end, day after day, Steve risked his life for conservation. Each episode, he risked his life to teach us about and save the things he loved, and I don't believe that we should discredit his legacy because he used methods that people find questionable. We should also not portray him as a man that only created a television show to entertain people and make money.

Steve left a conservation legacy that should be revered, and we should always remember him that way. He will always be Steve Irwin, the man that was born a wildlife warrior, and the man that died a wildlife warrior.