10 Surprisingly Easy Ways To Reduce Your Waste

Steps To A "Zero-Waste" Life

119
zero.waste.nest

While browsing YouTube over the summer, I stumbled upon a few videos with “Zero-Waste Life” in the title. They piqued my interest and I clicked on one. Then another. And another. These videos were filmed by numerous people who live without creating any trash. They were documenting their experiences living this lifestyle. I became fascinated with the movement and I continued to learn more about it.

Quite honestly, I am not even close to living a zero waste life. However, this movement has allowed me to become more aware of how much I toss in the trash. Becoming Zero Waste doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a long process, but every little bit counts. Here are some small changes you can make to reduce how much you toss in the trash:

1. Know What You’re Throwing Out

I honestly had never really thought about what I was throwing out. Once I started to think twice about it, I realized how much I could reduce and reuse.

2. Buy a Reusable Water Bottle

Not only does this save so much plastic, but I also found that I am drinking more water throughout the day because the bottle I carry with me is a constant reminder.

3. Bring Your Own Bags to the Grocery Store

Keep them in your car so that you’re never stuck without them.

4. Start Using a Bamboo Toothbrush

It’s a simple switch from plastic that is so much more Eco-friendly

5. Store your Leftovers in Reusable Containers

I know it is tempting to wrap everything in Ziploc bags, but purchasing a few mason jars will seriously reduce how much you throw away.

6. Grocery Shop in Bulk

People who live zero-waste eat so much better than the rest of us. Think about it--they don’t eat anything out of a package.

7. Start Using a Stainless Steel Straw

We don’t think twice about the small piece of plastic that we drink our beverages from. It seems insignificant. However, in the US alone, 500 million plastic straws are used and thrown away every. single. day.

8. Bamboo Utensils

Stop wasting plastic utensils every day and start carrying a portable set of sustainable and reusable utensils.

9. Use a shampoo bar

If you’re like me and you use up your shampoo like it’s nobody's business, consider using a shampoo bar that comes without the packaging.

10. Make your coffee at home

Or carry a reusable cup with you to the coffee shop--you’ll reduce your waste and get a discount too.