12 Steps To Writing A Book

The 12 Steps Of Writing A Novel

From thinking up the plot to finally showing it to other people.

1
The 12 Steps Of Writing A Novel

Writing a book is a big undertaking and anyone that has attempted (or succeed) in writing one knows that it is a long process that takes a lot of time and patience. Anyone who has tried to write a book knows the struggles. However, for anyone that has not started writing their book, here are the 12 steps of writing a book.

1. Thinking of plots and characters.

media.giphy.com

This is probably the easiest and most fun part of writing a book. Most people don't set out to write a book unless they already have an idea of the plot and characters they want to use.

2. Looking up character and plot charts.

media.giphy.com

Thinking of entire backstories for characters can be insanely difficult, so a lot of people decide to use character charts. These can help flesh out the backstory and little quirks of all your characters, as well as set the stage for your story.

3. Research.

media.giphy.com

Research is a major part of writing a book. If you're writing a book on history, your research is probably going to consist of reading a lot of history. If you're writing a book on crime, your research is going to include a lot of things that will make you hope the FBI never looks at your search history. If you're writing a fiction book, your research might just be reading a lot of books, which is always a lot of fun.

4. Writing the first chapters.

media.giphy.com

This is what makes it real. You finally have parts of your story done. These chapters are going to be really rough and probably need a lot of editing afterward.

5. Bringing your notebook/computer with you everywhere you go.

media.giphy.com

Once you start writing your book, you feel as if you can't stop writing. You start to bring your book with you everywhere you go so in case inspiration hits, you are ready for it.

6. Writing down everything you think of in hopes of it sticking.

media.giphy.com

You get to the stage where you start to write down any ideas that you have. It may not fit the plot, or go with any of the characters, but you still write it down, just in case.

7. Not writing for far too long.

media.giphy.com

Writer's block is a real thing and it sucks. You get to the point in the process where you can't think of anything any more and you just stop writing.

8. A little more research.

media.giphy.com

When you get to the point where you can't think of anything else to write, you start to do more research in the hopes that you might be able to actually think of something to write.

9. A sudden burst of writing.

media.giphy.com

After a spurt of writer's block and a little more research, you'll probably get hit with a burst of writing. You'll have so much to say, that most of it might be cut out when you get to the final edits, but it will feel nice to actually write something.

10. Going back and filling in all the plot holes you missed.

media.giphy.com

Once you finish writing through it all the first time, you have to go back through your first draft and fill in all the plot holes you missed or any random words you forgot in the moment while you were writing.

11. Finishing it but being too scared to share it with anybody.

media.giphy.com

Once you finish it, you get super proud for a while, but then you start to get scared. You wonder what will happen if people don't like it, or if it doesn't live up to the expectations that you had while writing it.

12. Finally sharing it with people.

media.giphy.com

Eventually, you'll get over these fears, and you will break it out and let a few people read it. You may even send it to a publisher.

Not all books are written following these 12 steps, but a lot of books are.