16 Steps To Getting Over A Bad Breaking

The 16-Step Rehab Guide To Properly Mourn A Breakup Before Getting Back On Your Feet

I promise that it will get easier.

439

Breakups suck. During my last breakup, I cried nonstop for weeks, maybe even months. Everyone has their own way of mourning, but here are just some tips and tricks to get you through that rough patch.

1. Delete them on all social media

Maybe you will be friends again in the future but, for now, delete them on everything. I am talking Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Myspace, Tumblr, whatever. Seeing them will just be too painful. You cannot properly get over someone without cutting them out for a bit.

2. Put all of his or her stuff in a box

Don't throw away all of his or her stuff, but also don't just leave it hanging around. Put it in a box so you can approach those memories when you are ready.

3. Opt for ice cream instead of alcohol

Much more of a satisfying option without potential negative repercussions.

4. Cry....A LOT

Let it all out for as long as you need to cry — days, weeks, months, whatever. Each breakup is individual and unique.

5. Do not get with someone new right away

Allow yourself to mourn this relationship first. If you do not get over that relationship, how can you expect to be successful and ready for the next one?

6. Don't delete all of your pictures together on social media

That is just petty. He or she was a big part of your life for a while; you cannot just "delete" that.

7. Have a girls or a guys night

I'm talking full on bonding night — wine, movies, baking, gossiping, crying.

8. Work out

Working out is a great way to get those positive endorphins running and to let go of those negative emotions.

9. Leave your room

There is this great thing called 'the great outdoors' and it works wonders for one's mentality.

10. Do not send the text

You know the text I am talking about. Just don't.

11. Make a random change in your life

Whether it be doing something to your hair, your nails, your room, your routine, just switch it up a bit. You will feel refreshed, I promise.

12. Stop blaming everything on yourself

A breakup is not usually one person's fault — usually, it is a build up of things that led there. I promise that the ending would not have changed if you did X thing differently.

13. Practice for when you run into each other in public

This sounds ridiculous, but I am being so serious. You do not want to randomly run into them at Publix one day and freak-out.

14. Avoid going to "your" places

Where you had your first date. Where he asked you to prom. Where she told you she loved you. Where you both loved going to ice cream. Avoid it, all of it.

15. Embrace who you are

Sometimes, you can get stuck in a relationship and lose a part of your identity. Remember who you are and do what you want to do.

16. Fall in love again

When you are ready, open yourself up again.