13 Things To Give Up For Success

13 Things To Give Up For Success

Sometimes, to become successful, we do not need to add more things; we need to give up on some of them.

162
13 Things To Give Up For Success

"Somebody once told me the definition of hell: 'On your last day on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.'" -- Anonymous

Sometimes, to be successful, we do not need to add more things...we need to give up on some of them. Even though each of us has a different definition of success, there are certain things that are universal, which, if you give up on them, you will be more successful.

Some of them you can give up today, while it might take a bit longer for others.

1. Give up on the UNHEALTHY LIFESTYLE.

"Take care of your body. It is the only place you have to live." -- Jim Rohn

If you want to achieve anything in life, everything starts here. First, you have to take care of your health, and there are only two things to keep in mind:

1. Healthy diet

2. Physical activity

Small steps, but you will thank yourself one day.

2. Give up the SHORT-TERM MINDSET.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." -- Mae West

Successful people set long-term goals, and they know that these aims are merely the result of short-term habits that they need to do every day.

These healthy habits should not be something you do; they should be something you are.

There is a difference between "working out to have a summer body" and "working out because that is who you are."

3. Give up PLAYING SMALL.

"Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone, and as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -- Marianne Williamson

If you never try and take great opportunities or allow your dreams to become realities, you will never realize your true potential.

Moreover, the world will never benefit from what you could have achieved.

So voice your ideas! Don't be afraid to fail! And certainly don't be afraid to succeed.

4. Give up YOUR EXCUSES.

"It is not about the cards you are dealt, but how you play the hand." -- Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Successful people know that they are responsible for their life, no matter their starting point, weaknesses, or past failures.

Realizing that you are entirely responsible for what happens next in your life is both frightening and exciting. However, it is the only way that you can reach the success because excuses limit and prevent us from growing personally and professionally.

Own your life; no one else will.

5. Give up the FIXED MINDSET.

"The future belongs to those who learn more skills and combine them in creative ways." -- Robert Greene, Mastery

In a fixed mindset, people believe that their intelligence or talent are simply fixed traits and that talent alone creates success -- without effort. They are wrong.

Successful people know this. They invest an immense amount of time on a daily basis to develop a growth mindset, acquire new knowledge, learn new skills, and change their perception so that it can benefit their lives.

Remember: who you are today is not who you have to be tomorrow.

6. Give up BELIEVING IN "THE MAGIC BULLET."

"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." -- Émile Coué

Overnight success is a myth.

Successful people know that small, continuous improvements every day will be compounded over time and yield desired results.

That's why you should plan for the future but focus on the day that's ahead of you, and improve just 1%.

7. Give up your PERFECTIONISM.

"Shipping beats perfection." -- Kahn Academy's Development Mantra

Nothing will ever be perfect, no matter how hard we try.

Fear of failure (or even fear of success) often prevents us from taking action and putting our creation out there in the world. However, many opportunities will be lost if we wait for things to be right.

So, "ship," and then improve (that 1%).

8. Give up MULTI-TASKING.

"You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." -- Winston S. Churchill

Successful people know this. That is why they choose one thing and beat it into submission no matter if it's a business idea, a conversation, or a workout.

Being fully present and committed to one task is indispensable.

9. Give up your NEED TO CONTROL EVERYTHING.

"Some things are up to us, and some things are not up to us." -- Epictetus, Stoic philosopher

Differentiating these two is important!

Detach from the things you cannot control and focus on the ones you can. Know that sometimes the only thing you will be able to monitor is your attitude towards something.

Moreover, remember nobody can be frustrated while saying "bubbles" in an angry voice.

10. Give up SAYING YES TO THINGS THAT DON'T SUPPORT YOUR GOALS.

"He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would achieve much must sacrifice much; he who would attain highly must sacrifice highly." -- James Allen

Successful people know that to accomplish their goals, they will have to say NO to tasks, activities, and demands from friends, family, and colleagues.

On a short-term, you might sacrifice a bit of instant gratification, but when your goals come to fruition, it will be worth it.

11. Give up the TOXIC PEOPLE.

"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." -- Jim Rohn

There are less ambitious and more ambitious people than us. If you spend time with the ones that are less driven than you, your average will go down, and with it your success.

However, if you spend time with people more advanced than you, no matter how challenging that might be, you will be more successful.

Take a look around and see if you need to make any changes.

12. Give up your NEED TO BE LIKED.

"The only way to avoid pissing people off is to do nothing important." -- Oliver Emberton

Think of yourself as a market niche. There will be many people that like that niche, but there will be individuals who do not, and no matter what you do, you will not be able to make an entire market like you.

This is entirely natural, and there's no need to do anything to justify yourself.

The only thing you can do is continue being authentic, and know that growing number of "haters" means that you are doing important things.

13. Give up your DEPENDENCY ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND TELEVISION.

"The trouble is, you think you have time." -- Jack Kornfield

Impulsive web browsing and television watching is a disease of today's society.

These two should never be an escape from your life or your goals.

Unless your goals depend on either, you should minimize (or eliminate) your dependency on them. Direct that time towards things that can enrich your life.