Best Steel Magnolia Quotes

7 Steel Magnolia Quotes Every College Girl Can Relate To

A Movie Just About Real Life

723
@kazuki_0425 on Instagram

I'm kind of picky when it comes to the kind of movies that I like to watch. I like almost every genre, but it really depends on the mood that I'm in as to what I want to watch. Sometimes I'm feeling really sappy and want to watch something like "The Notebook," and then other times I want to watch something really action-packed like "The Avengers." My favorite movie, however, is one that maybe not many people have seen.

"Steel Magnolias" was a movie that came out in 1989, and I cannot count the number of times that I watched it at my grandmother's house growing up. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it, but it's the perfect amount of sass, humor, heartbreak, and life lessons. The six sassiest and most – loving ladies in Louisiana form the kind of friendships that any girl would dream of having and for a lot of us they start in college.

For that reason, here are seven of the most relatable quotes from the movie. These are my favorite. Some are serious, some are sappy, some are outright hilarious, but I'll explain why I like each one so much as the list goes on.

1. “If he's trying to drive me crazy it's too late." – M'Lynn

Now here M'Lynn is talking about her husband. In this section of the movie he is trying to get the birds out of the trees in their backyard, so they're gone in time for their daughter's wedding reception. There's been one too many gunshots and it's gotten on M'Lynn's nerves for sure. Girls. We all have those sweet, amazing guys in our life that we love to death, but they know just how to get under our skin. They know just what ways to get us flustered and, in a tizzy, and that's what this quote makes me think of for sure.

2. “It takes some effort to look like this" – Truvy

Truvy is the primary beautician in town and she's as sassy as they come! I love her sweet character so much. She's one of the funnier and most positive gals in the group and knows exactly what to say to make you giggle. We all feel this way sometimes. When people compliment us or even what a guy doesn't appreciate how dressed up we've gotten, this is a thought that runs through our head. Natural beauty is amazing, but that hair and makeup takes some time honey!

3. “Don't try to get on my good side… I no longer have one." – Ouiser

Oh Ouiser. She takes a minute to warm up to, but once you do you can't help but love her. She's been through a lot and it's caused her to come across to most people as rude and horrible, but she means well and she's so funny it's sometimes unbearable haha. Admit it peeps, we all feel this way sometimes, we just aren't brave enough to say it out loud like she is.

4. “Smile – it increases your face value." – Truvy

Like I said, she's the most uplifting member of the group to me. Whenever someone makes a snarky comment (*cough cough* Ouiser) or someone is sad, Truvy knows just what to say. Girls we all have those people in our lives and in our gal groups that are always there to pick you up and be a light. Always be thankful for those special people, they love you a lot.

5. Pink is my signature color." – Shelby

Okay so not every girl will relate to this but I do lol. Shelby is so sweet and sassy and when her mom (M'Lynn) picks on her for “drowning" the sanctuary of the church in pink making it “look like Pepto Bismol, this is her response and I love it.

6. “If you can't say anything nice about anybody come sit by me." – Clairee

Not the most polite thing to say, but Clairee sure isn't, especially around the girls haha. The motto of this group is to never take anything too serious. Clairee is so funny and throughout the movie you learn that she's that southern belle with just the right amount of spice. She's one of my favorites of the group just because she always speaks her mind and does it in such a charming way that you can't help but love her!

7. “I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special." – Shelby

Shelby says this during one of the more serious parts of the movie (and if you watch it you'll see what I mean) but I could apply this to just about every part of my life. Life is so special and precious and as much as this movie makes you laugh, it tugs at your heart too. I would rather have a little bit of sparkle than none at all. Life's too crazy to play it safe every single day.