No One Talks About How Difficult It Is To Eat Healthily And Stay Fit At College

Even though I get sick of salads in the dining hall, and there's nothing better than getting those RU Hungry cheese fries and a milkshake when you come home late on a Friday night.

133

Being sick in college is the worst. It was a rude awakening realizing that it's not like high school where being sick comes with the silver lining of being able to lounge at home while you recover. The first month and a half of the semester, it felt like I was completely annihilated by the freshman plague, only having a handful of days that I actually felt healthy enough to go about my full routine. And as an art major, an 8 a.m. followed by a six-hour painting class is not fun to do when we're feeling under the weather.

Working out is so important to our mental and physical health, but this is so difficult to do when we're constantly feeling sick. And as soon as we finally feel better, we go back to squeezing time at the gym into our hectic lives in between classes, work, and other obligations, making us even more sleep deprived and susceptible to being sick again.

I've learned that it's so important to make time for yourself, whether it is sleep, time to clear your head, or self-care. My days feel so full with commitment after commitment. Between the involvement fair the first week, volunteer opportunities, and various on and off campus events, there are so many opportunities to sign up for. Then when you factor in class time and doing things with friends, there is almost no time left to sleep, let alone have some headspace while you're awake. I should really take my own advice and give myself a break, and it's hard when you feel like in your spare moments you're just wasting your time. It can be anything simple from doing a face mask to painting your nails, but allowing yourself time to refresh and relax will make you more productive with the rest of your time.

Another habit I've tried to maintain is healthy eating, although Brower sometimes makes this a one hard to stick to. Even though I get sick of salads in the dining hall, and there's nothing better than getting those R U Hungry? cheese fries and a milkshake when you come home late on a Friday night. This has been one goal that for the most part I've upheld. Keeping your diet in check is one of the most important things, and it's important to remember things like eating breakfast, drinking a lot of water, and keeping healthy snacks on hand so you don't feel tempted to go out to eat when you're out and about and feeling hungry between classes.

Most importantly is mental health. College has been such a change in lifestyle, with so many chaotic aspects of our lives going on at once. I'm lucky enough to have loved my classes and been surrounded by amazing friends this first semester, which I'd say this is by far the most important thing to remain healthy and happy.