3 Tips For Staying Grounded In Your Relationship

Relationships that fizzle out lack these three things.

1358
listovative.com

It's easy to get lost in a new relationship. Everything about the person you're with amazes you. It's an exhilarating time in your life and all you want is to be with that person. However, take it from my experience -- there is a such thing of spending too much time with the person in the very beginning. I'm no relationship expert, believe me (this is my first one). However, I've had time to watch relationships around me flourish and fizzle, and I've learned a thing or two.

The first thing I've learned is that communication is crucial. You can count on your relationship dying out quickly if there is none. In the beginning, nothing bothers you. Your partner can do no wrong, and only everything right. We've all heard of the "honeymoon phase," haven't we? There's a reason for that name. Because everything's white sandy beaches and pina coladas in your hand. But what happens when the vacation is over and it's time to pack up shop? I'll tell you what happens. Bickering and arguing about everything. You start to notice that the cute little thing they do is now not so cute. Creating an open line of communication with your partner sets the tone for a healthy relationship.

The second thing I've learned is that time away from each other isn't a bad thing. In the beginning, you guys want to spend every second together. It's like their company is the only company you want. It's important to make sure that you are still the person you were before them. Hang out with your friends, get lost in your hobby and just simply enjoy time away from your significant other. In the end if you don't, you will suffocate each other. I've learned this the hard way. I've learned that even though you're in a relationship with someone, you cannot lose the relationship that you had with yourself. It's about balancing the two and finding a happy medium.

The final thing I've learned is that trust is the ultimate determining factor. Without it, everything else is irrelevant. Trust is what will make or break your relationship. When your relationship is just beginning, it's easy to have all the trust in the world in that person. For some people, like myself, not so much. I've always been the type of person to be guarded, and I've always had my walls up. Allowing someone new into my life was scary and forced me to not be so guarded. Even as your relationship continues, there will be things that'll happen that will test your limits, and the amount of trust you have for one another. But always remember that if you both want it to work, you will find a way to make that happen.

I'm no expert, as I've stated previously, nor have I been in my relationship long enough to know everything. However, I am learning every single day to set aside my wants and needs to take into consideration his. It's not easy, believe me. Relationships are hard and have to be worked at every single day, but that's the key. If you work at it, you'll build a stronger foundation. If you don't, you're going to be walking on unsteady grounds. Communicate with your partner on the things that upset you or make you happy. Make sure to trust what your partner says they will or will not do, and remember your relationship with yourself.