How To Stay Positive On A Rainy Day

This Weather Sucks—But Here Are A Few Simple Tricks That Will Help You To Look On The Bright Side

If you live in North Carolina — or anywhere on the East coast — you know that this weather can really bring you down.

96

February is not known to have nice weather, especially on the East coast. After my almost 20 years of living in North Carolina, I have learned that February is usually a very cold and wet month. But every year, we get that one week when the weather is sunny and 75, causing the following week of freezing rain and wind to be even more unbearable than usual.

However, there is something refreshing about the weather actually following the seasons — you know, with the stark reality of climate change and global warming. Despite all of this, I have some tried and true ways of staying happy and positive even when the weather is testing you.

The most important items for a rainy day in February are a cute umbrella, stylish rain boots, and a warm water-resistant jacket. Without these things, you probably would not see me walking to classes. It's just the truth. It might just be me, but having sensible and stylish clothing items is very important for boosting my mood, especially when it comes to rainy days. No one likes to be unprepared on a rainy day.

If you can't find the motivation to get out of your room (or your bed), there are still ways that you can make your rainy day more positive. Maybe you turn your day into a productive cleaning or work session, or maybe you cuddle up on the couch and watch Netflix, but either way, a rainy day doesn't have to be a bad day.

It might be cliche, but one of my favorite things to do on a rainy day is to grab a blanket and a warm cup of coffee and read my book. I have always looked at rainy days as a time to relax and stay in, even if it is just for a small portion of my day.

So for this rainy week, be sure to take some time for yourself and relax, even if it is for an hour after work or class. The simple act of giving yourself time to recharge is so important for making your rainy day not so dreary. Also, don't forget your umbrella!