How can I survive finals week?

How To Stay Calm During Finals Week

You'll make it out alive.

1196

Finals week seems to have appeared more quickly than ever before. It's as if the four months prior have been a breeze and now it's smooth sailing from here on out. That may be the case for some who are lucky enough to glide through their class without a stressful final.

For the rest of us, however, we'll be having a more difficult time. Studying months worth of material, buying supplies for projects, and working with people you haven't had a conversation with the entire semester. Being a college student for two years has allowed me to piece together some helpful tips to get through finals with little to no stress.

1. Eat and sleep normally.

While binging loads of material sitting without moving until you memorize it might seem like a brilliant idea, it's important to function how you would on any given day. Eat three meals a day (or however many meals you usually eat) and have snacks readily available. Make sure to sleep at least seven hours to ensure you're fully functional. You may think you can minimal sleep and be fine, but that won't be the case when your brain wants to crash on the day of your final.

2. Allow for socialization.

Don't hole yourself up in your room all day wondering why it's so hard to concentrate. Give yourself time with friends and family. Go out to eat, take a walk, or just sit and talk. Take your mind off of studying for a little while to allow your brain time to rest. You'll feel refreshed and ready to go when you begin studying again.

3. Treat yourself.

Studying isn't fun without incentives. Create stopping points as you go along and reward yourself when you reach each one. Go get yourself a latte or a baked good. Go shopping at your favorite store. Go get food from your favorite place. Once you've established positive reinforcement, you'll be able to retain information easily.

It's important to maintain your sanity throughout the next week. It may prove to be difficult, but just remember that you'll make it through. You may have tips of your own that help you achieve your goals. It's okay if you don't get the best grade or have the best project. All that matters is you tried your best.

Good luck on finals everyone!