9 Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming To College

The tips I had to learn on how to survive freshmen year and beyond.

136
Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash

I pretty much started off my first year of college with a blindfold. Yes, you can obviously prepare yourself in various ways, but there are a handful of things I didn't know until after I already got to school. During my freshmen year, I, unfortunately, had to learn a handful of things the hard way.

Hopefully, these helpful tips can help incoming college students before they start their first year of school.

​Start your first semester out strong.

Photo by Helloquence on Unsplash

If you start out strong academically, it can help to motivate you to stay consistent for the rest of your semesters. It's much harder to raise your GPA if you start low. However, college is incredibly hard. It's perfectly normal to struggle, but it's important to regularly try your best.

It's harder to find a friend group than you may think.

Photo by Simon Maage on Unsplash

Making friends is something that seems very easy to do, and at times it can be. There are so many different kinds of people in college that it's hard to find the ones you click with.

Go to Office Hours!

Photo by Thomas Drouault on Unsplash

I cannot stress this enough! Going to office hours is a perfect way to communicate with your professor one-to-one. If you are ever struggling with the material, have learning disabilities, or even want to just establish a relationship with your professor, go to their office! Professors have office hours for us, so take advantage of them.

Avoid Friday classes.

Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash

It's hard to really focus on anything on a Friday when you're just counting down until it's the weekend. You can stay up late on Thursdays while getting to sleep in the next morning. You can make a day for yourself to catch up on work, go to the gym, or run errands.

Sit in the front of the class.

Photo by Mikael Kristenson on Unsplash

You don't have to be scared to sit in the front of the room. Where you sit in class is surprisingly important. When you sit in the front, you eliminate all other distractions and force yourself to do nothing else but pay attention. The chances are also high that your professor will recognize your attendance and remember you.

Don't buy books from the campus bookstore.

Photo by Eliabe Costa on Unsplash

Before you even think about buying your books from the bookstore, look on other websites like Amazon or Chegg. When you buy books at the campus bookstore, you are spending an excessive and unnecessary amount of money. I promise that you can find the same exact book you need for cheaper from literally anywhere else.

Join clubs to build your resume.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Building your resume is essential while in college. Start early and join clubs that are not only interesting, but that will look great to employers! In addition, having leadership roles in an organization will do nothing but benefit your resume and future.

Start your work early.

Photo by Green Chameleon on Unsplash

"You have an exam in three weeks, who cares?" "Your paper is due in a month from now, you'll start it when it gets closer!" Start studying now! Start working on your paper ahead of time! Deadlines and tests always find a way to sneak up on you. Anyone could tell you that you'll always do your best work when you put a lot of time and effort into them. Cramming for tests and papers often fails, make a study plan instead.

​Advisors are your friends.

Photo by Mimi Thian on Unsplash

Advisors have your best interest at heart. They can do anything from helping you with creating class schedules, major/minor changes, and advice. They play an important role in your college experience if you actually seek assistance and utilize them.

There are so many things that I wish I knew before I started my freshmen year. Since it's your first year pretty much all on your own, you need all the help and tips you can get!