Start Planning For Your Summer By Finding Ways To Save Some Money

A quick look into saving up this summer

81
Meredith Flanagan

As a college student, it can be difficult to make time to work between having class, time with friends, and time to relax. I worked for a solid two weeks on campus and even without work, life is hectic here. The summertime is the time to make a lump sum of money before heading back to school in the fall. Although summer is supposed to be carefree time without school work, there are many short cuts you can take to save or make a little extra money for school outside having a job.

I personally didn't go to the same college with any friends from home; however, I'm sure we will go on plenty of dates and catch up. A minuscule way to save a dollar or two at a time is to order water. Although fresh squeezed lemonade is my weakness, I could save myself a few bucks by ordering water instead.

Lately, I've gotten back into running and I live a big neighborhood. If you enjoy the nice weather and running outside, you can ask neighbors if they need dogs walked. While you're out getting exercise you'll be making money as well. Another neighborhood task could be cutting your neighbor's lawn.

If you're looking to cut back on bills, you can dry certain items outside on a nice sunny day. Or you can cook outside. Cooking inside with the oven and stove creates excess heat that may make you want to crank up the air conditioning, only increasing your bills.

When looking for new clothes, you don't always have to buy from retail stores. Many people donate clothing to resale shops with tags still on or in like new condition. On the other side of buying clothes, you can always sell your gently used clothing in a garage sale or to stores like Plato's Closet.

You don't always have to spend money to have a good time. Look at your cities website to find free concerts or little festivals. Getting out with friends to check out new events is always a good time.

Above are just a few ways to save a few extra dollars this summer along with having a job. In no time your bank account will be thanking you for the little steps you took to grow your balance.