Is Starbucks eliminating all straws from their drinks?
Restaurants

Straws Are Officially Old News And Starbucks Is Leading The Way

Starbucks is making a big promise to the environment.

87
starbucks eliminates straws

So is Starbucks really going straw less?

The answer is YES! Starbucks has confirmed on Monday, July 9th, 2018 that starting in the fall Starbucks (starting first with Canada) will be straw free. This effort of eliminating straws to help the environment is estimated to decrease by more than one billion straws a year. With all the pollution from these straws are extremely dangerous to our marine life, and with Starbucks new changes we hope to save these harmful conditions.

So what will our drinks now look like without straws? The new unique look transitions the typical plastic lid to an "adult sippy cup" lid very similar to the lid used for hot drinks. For those who still just prefer a straw were told they can request an eco-friendly straw which will be made out of paper or compostable plastic. Frappuccinos will be served with the new lid as well as one of these eco-friendly straws.

These new ecological cups are a huge innovation for Starbucks as a company for they have already spent over 10 million dollars to create recyclable cups for hot drinks.

Starbucks

Nicholas Mallos, director of Ocean Conservancy's Trash Free Seas program, called Starbucks' decision a "shining example" of how companies can help fight ocean pollution.

"With eight million metric tons of plastic entering the ocean every year, we cannot afford to let industry sit on the sidelines," he said in a statement.

Stay tuned to see how the regular Starbucks consumers feel about the change and how else we can help the environment.