The Early Release Of Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte Is Wrong

Hey Starbucks, PSL Is Seasonal For A Reason, NO ONE Wants Halloween In August

The thought of drinking a milky, pumpkin-flavored latte while soaking up the sun makes me gag.

833

In case you've missed the memo, fall is coming early this year. That's because Starbucks is releasing your favorite autumn-themed drink before summer is even over — their iconic Pumpkin Spice Latte will make its debut in a Starbucks near you on August 27, according to Business Insider. Yep, you read that right, the java giant wants you to bask in pumpkin glory when it's still 90-degree weather outside. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I just can't get on board with this early release date and here's why.

They're skipping to the next holiday season before summer is even over.

While some of us are still enjoying beach days and frosé, Starbucks wants us to get over it already and jump to Halloween. But I'm just not ready to give up my summer fun yet, thank you very much. No one wants to be reminded of colder days and the end of sundress season when we're barely out of the dog days of summer.

It encompasses everything that's wrong with retail America.

It's hard not to notice that most commercial establishments in the United States are selling themed holiday merchandise earlier and earlier every year. The day after Thanksgiving, you'll start to see Christmas decorations pop up in your local Target, and you'll see heart-shaped candy and lovey-dovey cards take over your CVS just a few weeks into the New Year. If retailers keep moving at this pace, they're going to eliminate all anticipation that typically comes before big holidays - which is arguably what's most fun about them.

No one wants a pumpkin-flavored drink in 90-degree weather.

I don't know about you, but I like my pumpkin in the fall, NOT YEAR-ROUND. The thought of drinking a milky, pumpkin-and-nutmeg-flavored drink while soaking up the sun kind of makes me gag. It just seems unnatural, like eating a popsicle in the dead of winter.

If you make an exclusive thing accessible at all times, it loses its value.

Let's face it, one of the reasons that we basic gals will wait in a ridiculously long line to taste an overly sweet Starbucks pumpkin spice latte the day it's released is because it makes us feel ahead of the trend when we post up a pic on Insta. If this iconic drink becomes available to the public outside of its typical season, however, we won't want it as much anymore — because having something that is readily available doesn't make you look cool.

It makes me think that PSL might become a year-round thing, and that just scares me.

Just like I could never listen to Christmas music year-round, having to listen to people gushing over pumpkin spice lattes for 12 months out of the year makes me cringe. There's a time and a place, people.