My Starbucks Gold Card

My Starbucks Gold Card

And Why I Shouldn’t be Judged for Having One

817
My Starbucks Gold Card

Spring semester was hard for me. I was taking intense upper-level classes, doing a research assistantship, pledging a fraternity, working roughly 20 hours a week and trying to stay sane while doing it all.

Over the course of four months, I achieved what only true Starbucks aficionados do. I, Ean Gomez, was awarded the coveted Starbucks Gold Card for my constant dedication to arguably the greatest coffee conglomerate.

Started in 2009, Starbucks’ Gold Card reward system is a loyalty program aimed at any fan of Starbucks products, thanking customers by offering special deals and free drinks after achieving milestones.

There are three levels of "Starbucks groupie": Welcome Level, Green Level and, of course, the coveted Gold Level. Customers who subscribe to the awards system can receive free drinks, special deals, and other loyalty-based rewards.

The reward system is connected with a Starbucks gift card, and when registered on the online site, can be your ticket to birthday perks and endless macchiatos at your favorite store, from your favorite barista.

Starbucks coffee, as any loyal patron like myself knows, is two or even three times the cost of coffee at competing coffee shops. So why should you spend upwards of $5 on a cup of joe and participate in Gold Rewards?

Achieving the title of “Gold Member” is likely the only award I’m going to get in the near future. Using Starbucks’ espresso and sugar-mixed concoctions to get through numerous all-nighters in a given week is the norm, not the exception, for a rising college senior. And trust me, my grades during the spring semester were anything but “grande.”

Additionally, some people who think of Starbucks might not think of simply purchasing coffee. Yes, plain old, no frap, no double shot, triple whip coffee. Hitting the goal to get your very own gold card might not be as expensive as you might think.

Starbucks is not the only coffee chain to engage in a rewards program. Dunkin' Donuts has a program of their own, rewarding customers for purchases on drinks and bakery items. For some reason, "DD Perks" hasn't been as popular with coffee enthusiasts as Starbucks' rewards.

The Starbucks Gold Card is a sign of hard work and dedication, and says, "Hey, this guy really likes his coffee." Raise your Gold Card high and proud, and next time you enter a Starbucks, reap the rewards of a gold member.