Is Star Wars The New Avengers?

Is Star Wars The New Avengers?

How Disney is turning Lucas' creation into their next pet project.

43
Is Star Wars The New Avengers?
Rober Gonzalez

Over the past decade the Walt Disney company has amassed quite a collection of subsidiary brands and assets ranging from ESPN to even, ironically, VICE media. However with their acquisition of Marvel Entertainment back in 2009, Disney began to run what is, in many ways, a monopoly on cinematic entertainment. Quickly, Disney began to spearhead characters such as Iron Man and Captain America amongst others into their respective roles in the Avengers lineup of Marvel comics lore. The following Avengers movies brought nothing but success for Disney and increasingly larger pockets for their producers. However, with the upcoming release of "Avengers: Infinity War" it appears the long reign of the Avengers will come to a climatic end.

Regardless, Disney does have a plan to initiate a new form of superhero saga. While there are numerous movies and TV shows involving other characters from the Marvel Universe slated for release in the near future, this is not what Disney aims to target much of their attention towards. In the words of Luke Skywalker, "This is not going to go the way you think..."

Indeed, the next big project for Disney is the Star Wars franchise and they aim to make it every bit as big and flashy as they have with Marvel. Disney purchased the Star Wars franchise, and effectively Lucasfilm and its subsidiaries, from George Lucas in 2012. In that time they have introduced two movies in a brand new sequel trilogy, their own standalone story entitled "Rogue One", eliminated hundreds of comics and novels from canon, created several TV shows and laid out the release for at least two new star wars movies every year.

While the reactions of life-long fans to these actions have been mixed, overall much of Disney's projects within the Star Wars universe have done incredibly well at the box office. The release of "The Force Awakens" in 2015 reignited the passion of many star wars fans and while many walked out of the theater disappointed and baffled after the following movie, "The Last Jedi", at the same time many have come to identify themselves as fans of the franchise; an accomplishment that may not have happened had Disney not taken the reigns in 2012.

Disney has accomplished this feat in the same way they did with Marvel movies in 2008 to the present. By making their characters larger than life itself and in some ways absurd, they have sensationalized them. Although it could be argued that the main selling point behind Lucas' original Star Wars universe was its inherent sensationalized qualities and absurdity, its massive canon effectively created too many rules for its producers.

Much like with Marvel comics and the Avengers canon, even though die-hard fans are able to pick out and scrutinize every flaw of Disney's production, newer fans who know nothing of the preliminary comics see these movies as masterpieces. The same goes for the Disney-era Star Wars films. All in all, when it comes down to brass tacks, ignorance is bliss and details are for adults.