Standing Rock Proves Protesting DOES Work

The longest protest in modern history has ended--successfully!

8
Huffington Post

Just yesterday, several major news companies announced the Army Corp of Engineers' decision to look for an alternative route for the Dakota Access Pipeline. After months of protesting, the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and allies could stop the fight. Their sacred land, their water, their lives were no longer at risk from such invasion by corporate greed and dangerous environmental neglect.

Besides being an amazing win for human rights, and in some ways, environmental rights (although halting the creation of DAPL in general would be much more of a win for the environment), the recent decision has also proved one very important point: protesting works.

In the current political climate of the United States, protests, demonstrations, petitions, and freedom of speech are hot-topics. People petitioning the election of Trump have been criticized by conservatives and liberals alike as "crybabies" or have been told that their actions do not matter and have no effect on political, social, or economic issues.

The Standing Rock Sioux tribe has proven everyone wrong. Protesters--include elderly individuals and children--withstood months of physical, emotional, and mental abuse from military and police personnel. Protesters were sprayed with water hoses in below-freezing temperatures, causing a wave of hypothermia. One woman was hit with a concussion grenade and will possibly have to have her arm amputated. Hundreds of people had tear gas and pepper spray sprayed at them. Law enforcement agencies shot rubber bullets at protesters as well.

The protest at Standing Rock is the longest-running protest in modern history. That is an accomplishment in and of itself, but to be a "successful" protest is nearly unbelievable.

Even protests which do not achieve the specific goal at which they are aimed--such as protests against President-elect Trump--are still successful in some important ways. They raise awareness about an issue. They prove not all people are happy or content with certain aspects of life. They increase solidarity between those who feel their voices are not heard. They are successful, and they are important.

The protest at Standing Rock was, of course, incredibly successful even before the recent decision to move the pipeline. Millions of people were enlightened to modern discrimination and shown the history of how white people and the United States government have oppressed indigenous peoples since before the founding of our country.

Standing Rock has proved protests work--and that is so, so important. Protesters across the country will gain confidence from this and find renewed energy and passion for their protests. People will stop saying, "Stop protesting. You're wasting your time." More protesters' voices will be heard, and more change will occur.

Thank you, Standing Rock Sioux tribe. Thank you for inspiring the world. Thank you for standing up against injustice and thank you for showing the love and kindness our country has never shown to you.