Why I Stand With SeaWorld

Why I Stand With SeaWorld

'Blackfish' does not change my mind.

1727
Why I Stand With SeaWorld
Fortune

The premiere of the documentary "Blackfish" in 2013 stimulated a now widespread movement against SeaWorld Marine Parks, as well as other zoos and aquariums. ”Blackfish” was created by a mother and amateur film-maker who became fascinated with SeaWorld's animal care after taking her own family to SeaWorld and hearing about the infamous death of killer whale trainer Dawn Brancheau. On February 24th, 2010 Brancheau was pulled into the water by whale Tilikum, and died from drowning and blunt force trauma. "Blackfish" combines footage and various testimonies to examine the Brancheau incident and other incidents in which Tilikum was reportedly involved, and associates this aggressive behavior with his experience in captivity.

I have been a huge SeaWorld fan ever since I was a little kid. I have vivid memories of being splashed in the face by Shamu, meeting Beluga whales, feeding dolphins and learning bountiful information about our amazing oceans and the animals in them firsthand. So when "Blackfish" first came out, I decided to do my research to see if SeaWorld still deserved my business.

Surprisingly, despite the backlash against SeaWorld and other marine parks, I have personally been able to find more compelling information and arguments in SeaWorld's favor than out of it. I've observed many perspectives in both media and academia and have spoken with many people who saw “Blackfish,” many of which use the film as their primary source of disdain for any sort of animal captivity.

As an avid patron of zoos and aquariums who is also an activist at heart, my desire for justice and my love for fuzzy and fishy things alike has prompted me to respond. SeaWorld recently made the decision to end their orca breeding program and to revamp orca encounters, and so though I know there are many that will disagree with me (and already have,) I thought now would be a good time to explain in writing why that even after "Blackfish,"I still stand with SeaWorld.

First off, animal conservation--and particularly marine mammal conservation--is a very intricate and ever-changing field as new advances are being made on a regular basis. Consulting a variety of resources is pivotal to a comprehensive understanding of wildlife conservation, and I admit I am only dabbling here. I am no marine biologist, but I'm doing my research, which is more than most people can say. So first and foremost I implore you to investigate the issue for yourself, even if you disagree with me. In fact, especially if you disagree with me. Don't just watch “Blackfish” and leave it at that, and don't even just read this article and leave it at that. There are a plethora of resources available, some of which I will reference and you are welcome to click around for yourself.

Investigation of what “Blackfish” portrays versus what SeaWorld actually does proves that the film uses heavy emotional appeal and unreliable or outdated sources. Additionally, the film relies more on the testimonies of animal rights activists rather than scientists or current SeaWorld employees. There is even a detailed “Blackfish” analysis table that matches moments in the film--literal time stamps--to the reasons that they are inaccurate or misleading. The table cites OSHA hearings, trials and investigations from the incidents the film claims to describe and leads readers to further resources regarding the issues at hand.

Furthermore, following the response to ”Blackfish” SeaWorld has published a number of testimonies from their qualified employees, and even has a web page dedicated to guest questions that range from "do whales live shorter lives in captivity" to "do penguins have knees?" (In case you were wondering, they do in fact have knees.) SeaWorld has been very up-front and proactive in confronting "Blackfish"and related accusations, and for that I applaud them.

My personal experience with SeaWorld also negates the inferences of “Blackfish.” I've been fortunate enough to visit their Orlando location several times throughout my life. A few of these times I had the opportunity for close up encounters with both animals and their trainers. The trainers are always very candid and clear about the measures they take and methods they use with the exotic and sometimes unpredictable animals.

For example, during one encounter as we were meeting a walrus, the big old fella waddled up to a path that led him behind some bars, with a large area to stick his head into so that guests could see and feed him. We were to feed him a fish by letting him slurp it from our hand like a big, stinky piece of spaghetti. But before giving us those instructions, the trainer first explained to us the enclosure being used for our interaction with the walrus. She emphatically pointed out to us that the bars were for the safety and health of both parties involved, and repeatedly gave us the opportunity to ask questions about how the walrus or any other SeaWorld animals were being treated.

The same held true for the gentlemen that introduced me to a Beluga whale, one of my personal favorites. My sister and I even asked about the feeding procedures and how much the whales were fed, wondering whether our scaly, slimy offerings would count as a snack or a meal. We proceeded to ask about the use of food as incentive, which is something "Blackfish" claims is refusing animals food if they refuse to follow demands. The men were not startled or daunted by our question and answered truthfully with stories from their own work feeding the animals at SeaWorld to assure us that no creature there is refused optimum care.

After numerous interactions with SeaWorld employees, I firmly believe that those folks would not tolerate animal cruelty, and would truly go find new jobs if they felt they were a part of a cooperation that mistreated the wildlife that it advocates for. The scientists, trainers, and other experts that SeaWorld employs do what they do because they care about these animals.

The largest argument for SeaWorld is its extensive conservation and education programs. SeaWorld teams have rescued more than 27,000 animals and are on call 24/7. Most of the sea turtles in their Orlando exhibit are rescues, and SeaWorld is extraordinarily instrumental in the rehabilitation of Florida's manatee population. They also provided an extensive amount of aid and rescue after the big oil spill a few years back. Online, you can view annual reports regarding SeaWorld's rescue and conservation funds. I'll be frank.

How much would any of us know about whales without SeaWorld? Orcas, aka "killer whales," used to be one of the most feared and misunderstood species on the planet. But up close and personal research of these guys has allowed millions of people to really understand how whales and other marine animals live and how we can help them survive. Photos from"Blackfish"make killer whales look like just that: killers. The cover photo itself on Netflix made me cringe as the ocean casts dark shadows that make the massive whale look more like monster than mammal.

SeaWorld is regulated by the USDA, and is also accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (AMMPA). All of those organizations hold strict standards which SeaWorld, according to reports, exceeds. I would also like to note that SeaWorld has in no way endorsed me to write and publish this article.

If you want to do more research on this to decide what you think, I recommend starting with seaworldcares.com. However, a simple google search with a phrase like "“Blackfish” accuracy" turns up results as well. There are several websites devoted to both sides of the debate. Despite the boycotts, protests and criticism, SeaWorld just keeps swimming. And I commend them for it. Thank you, SeaWorld, for exposing us to the wonders of the deep.