Stages of Holiday Packing for a (Lazy) College Student

Who has to pack? Me? No, I don't think so.

21
The Inn on the River

With Thanksgiving right around the corner and Christmas, Hanukah, etc. less than a month away most people, but especially college students, are excited for the holidays.

They begin to daydream about going home, seeing all of their family, having time away from school. But for me, a dread begins to weigh heavy on my shoulders: I have to pack. Luckily, my family will be traveling to me for the brief upcoming Thanksgiving break, which means less overall packing, which is especially relieving since (on the quarter system) winter break starts only a week or so after we get back. Nonetheless, I stop getting excited for the subsequent extended break when I realize this just means not only the usual horrors of packing, but also cramming a month's worth of belongings into a small enough number of bags that I can comfortably carry them to and from the airport.

And it is with all of the specifics of packing hanging around the back of my mind that I thought I would outline the "Steps of Holiday Packing" for my fellow packing-inept; so they know they're not alone in their struggle.

1. Ignorance

Prior to the dismal cycle of overthinking that I have clearly already entered, there are happier times. Times in which you are still thinking of the holidays as a wonderful opportunity to be with loved ones, and you look forward to them with your whole heart. Usually, I find that I can remain ignorant to the holidays' true intentions until the week-or-so before I leave. Those were good times.

2. Denial

As soon as I come to the realization that packing is essentially an impending deadline, I pretend I have not made this realization. This manifests in many ways; not only do I deny that I will have to pack, but I also have to find a way to avoid items that will trigger the memory. This means spending as much time outside of my house as possible, AKA make a ton of plans with friends and keep my schedule packed. This is the only time I'd prefer to go to the library and study over being in bed watching TV where my closet and laundry would simply be staring me down.

3. Procrastination

Once I can no longer deny the necessity of packing exists, I put it off even more. Usually, I will convince myself there this nothing I have to do to prepare for my departure besides the act of packing itself--even though I also have to take care of all my adult chores--which allows me to justify not doing anything until a day or two before I leave. Distractions are even more necessary, even if this just means going into my housemates' rooms and bugging them to entertain me.

4. Bargaining

At this point, I convince myself that baby steps are better than nothing and I start making deals with myself. They sound something like this: "If I do one load of laundry I can watch an episode of TV" or "If I pack my toiletries I can hang out with my friends for an hour." This usually just results in very minimal packing progress and way too much money spent on going out instead.

5. Depression

There are no distractions left. Yet, I refuse to pack. I refuse to have fun. I refuse to do anything. I ignore the world.

6. Panic

...Until the panic sets in. I am leaving in the morning, its already 1AM, and I have completed nothing. I freak out for an hour.

7. Reluctant acceptance

After my breakdown, I force myself to accept that I will either be woefully underpacked or be a grown-up, suck it up, and pack. I (sort of) choose the latter, and then decide I will sleep for an hour or two, wake up early and speed-pack.

8. Anger

I wake up tired, and bitter. I proceed to angrily pack, complaining and being generally sassy about the whole ordeal while I basically just throw handfuls of random items into my bag.

9. Bliss

I have not packed well, but I have completed my task and never have I felt more accomplished. Then it's off to the airport to fly home--I love the process of traveling so this is also great. And before I know it I'm home, familiar faces and places abound, and I am so relieved and so very happy. It appears that the stress was all worth it until...unpacking!