The 7 Stages Of Procrastination

The 7 Stages Of Procrastination

162
The 7 Stages Of Procrastination
Michelle Pendergrass

We all know how this works. You've had a paper for a solid two weeks, but now it's suddenly the day it's due. You still haven't started. What's new? Hey, at least there's still a whole day to procrastinate writing it. Am I right or am I right? Procrastination. It's something that takes skill. Honestly, there's so many stages incorporated within it. Here's a few that are all too familiar to me:

1. The stage of denial

This is the stage where you convince yourself that you don’t have anything to do at all. You can totally do whatever you want. You're free.

This is where you just go about your life normally. And by normally I mean just laying in bed scrolling on your phone for hours patiently refreshing the page of every single social media app ever in existence until someone just updates me with their life. Just let me see a cat video or makeup video or a food video... anything really would be great! I'd even settle for an update bout how you just worked out for a whole hour and how you're better than me now! Just entertain me!

2. The "feel bad for me" stage

This is the stage of complaining. Everyone you talk to gets to hear about the lovely three to five page paper you have due in approximately 12 hours. Conversations usually go something like this:

Friend: “Hey”

You: “Ugh, I have this paper to write and I don't wanna write it. Will you write it for me? Ugh. I hate school. I don't wann write this paper. No one else is writing a paper. Why do I have to do it?"

Friend: “I think I’m gonna go to the store in like 15 minutes.You wanna go?”

You: “Did I mention I have this paper I really don't wanna write? I don't even know what it's on. I'm dropping out. I hate school."

3. The “I’d love to” stage

This is the stage where you realize that there’s cooler things to do besides complaining and waiting for your bestfriend’s grandma—who you friended out of pure boredom—to accidentally update her status again.

You realize that your friend said she was going to the store, and you can't let her go by herself. You don't need anything, but you just have to go. It's what good friends do.

Also, Susie said she’s wanted to watch "The Notebook" for like a week. You definitely should call her and tell her you can watch it, but only after you go grab lunch with that friend that said they were headed to the campus cafeteria!

4. The analytical stage

This is the stage where you sit down to begin your paper, but instead, you just begin to question everything. I mean everything.

Example:

“Ugh procrastination will be the death of me….

Procrastination. Huh, that’s a strange word.

PRO-crastination… what is crastination? how am I a pro at it?

....or is it procrastiNATION? what is procrast?? And why does it have a nation?

Speaking of nation though… why aren’t we The Bonded States of America instead of the United States of America?

Oh, speaking of "states"….. Did you know if you take out the 'e' this word is the same backwards and forwards? OMG, How cool?!

Speaking of backwards and forwards though…. stressed backwards is desserts…. ice cream time!"

5. The Accidental Productivity stage

This is the stage where you realize how much you have to do besides the paper. After all, you do have a sudden burst of energy after rewarding yourself for…You know it doesn't matter what it was for. #treatyoself.

You realize your room looks so messy, and it has to be cleaned. Everything has to be cleaned.

But all this work makes you hungry...again…

So...You suddenly become a culinary artist and make some fancy gourmet meal.

Speaking of fancy food, your mom makes great food. You then realize that you haven’t talked to her in a while… Let's give her a call.

Speaking of contacting people, you realize you never replied to that professor that emailed you a week ago, and that has to be done right now.

The possibilities of this stage are endless really. Anything that’s not your three to five page essay sounds appealing.

6. The "Actual Productivity" stage

This is the stage where you look at the clock and realize your paper is due in hour hour and 27 minutes, and all you have written is the header and the title. I mean, given, that’s got you like one-eighth of the way done with the paper (Thank you, MLA format), but still this paper counts for 10 percent of your grade.

You go sit down in the corner, listen to music, annnnnnnd accidentally start singing karaoke while having a dance party. So much for actually being productive.

7. The Crunch Time stage

OK, so no more distractions. Turn off the music. You can do it. Literally, what else could distract you? You've done just about everything.

You have like 57 minutes left and you type so fast, you’re pretty sure you could set a world record.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what the world record actually is. No, you can't look it up. Stay focused. Stay focused. You can do it. Just keep typing. Keep writing about that book that you probably didn't read because SparkNotes exists.

You continue frantically typing and finally submit your paper at 11:59 p.m. What a close one! Can't wait to repeat OU CONTINUE FRANTICALLY TYPING, AND FINALLY SUMBIT YOUR PAPER AT 11:59 PM. WHAT A CLOSE ONE. CAN’T WAIT TO REPEAT THIS ALL OVER AGAIN TOMORROW. #college