St. Lucia Sentiments

St. Lucia Sentiments

Why I fell in love with St. Lucia at Music Midtown

9
St. Lucia Sentiments

After recently attending my first Music Midtown festival in Atlanta, I returned to reality like most, with severe post-concert depression. I couldn't have imagined a crazier weekend. The main reason why I purchased the $160 ticket was obviously to see some of the more popular members of the lineup: TØP, The Killers, G-Eazy, Ke$ha. However, somewhere along the Music Midtown 2016 Spotify playlist, I came across a slightly familiar band name, St. Lucia. I remember thinking they were decent. I could possibly squeeze their performance in between two of the headliners. Electric Ballroom Stage was where I had planned to stay for most of day two and St. Lucia was up first at 2:30.

There are two very different music festival strategies that I quickly became aware of at Music Midtown. Some of the more die-hard fans tend to only care about one or two artists, so they are undoubtedly some of the first to arrive at each location. Most of the headline shows were purposefully scheduled last so that earlier acts would get the same opportunity for equal attendance. The other strategy was to see as many performances as possible. And since showtimes overlapped at various locations all across Piedmont Park, these so-called concert hoppers would have to sprint back and forth between stages to get the most out of each act they wanted to see.

I fell somewhere in between these two distinct strategic behaviors. I had a list of six artists that I was dying to see, but I wasn't willing to give up seeing any on my list just to sit in the same spot all day. Luckily for me, I was able to see every artist I cared about from a relatively close spot, even despite all of the crowds, severe weather evacuations, and necessary bathroom/food breaks. Did I mention that pizza was $7??

I'm not going to lie, I wasn't intentionally at Electric Ballroom for St. Lucia, I was there to scope out the crowds that may be already forming for the Killers. I fell in love with The Killers when I was about 11 years old. Seeing them in concert was a dream come true. But enough about that, back to St. Lucia. I met up with some friends from my high school in Georgia at Electric and we found a nice place to sit next to the middle barricade in front of VIP. Not too shabby.

It was a good starting point for someone willing to wait there until The Killers performed at 8:30, I debated it, but I'm not someone who could go 7 hours without eating or using the bathroom just to potentially snag front row spots for a headliner. Even for a headliner like The Killers. I seriously need to stop talking about The Killers.

St. Lucia was walking out on stage right about now. I was distracted by all the too-drunk-to-function adults surrounding me to even realize a new band was about to perform. After hearing the first song, I wasn't intrigued. But, my attention shifted shortly after as I heard a tune I vaguely recognized, "Do You Remember?" then another "Dancing On Glass" then another "Closer Than This." I turned out that I knew much more from St. Lucia than I originally thought.

I have never been successful at memorizing lyrics, so I'm not that person who knows every word to every song by every one of their favorite artists. But it didn't matter. St Lucia's sound gave off a vibe that almost discouraged people to sing along, and instead just listen, which is all that I did. More memorable songs followed, "Love Somebody," "All Eyes On You," and "Elevate."

But I will never forget the moment when Jean-Philip Grobler, the band's lead singer, started running laps around the stage during the song "Physical." This upbeat tune "got me hype" as the kids would say it these days. I haven't gone a day since Music Midtown without listening to it. When I'm feeling drained of all energy and motivation after a long day with three classes and a lab, I just turn on "Physical." After a hard club running practice when I can barely move, I just turn on "Physical" and I'm back on my feet. This song gives me life.

I have always had respect for bands who aren't afraid to actually sing at concerts, especially those who do it well. Lipsync bands are all too boring and out of date, music listeners want true quality to match a true set of lyrics. St. Lucia's one-of-a-kind sound made me a believer, they were truly a Live band. Artists deserve so much more credit when they are truly successful, and not when they pretend or fake their way through a performance. I felt the energy flowing through the Electric Ballroom stage, and that same energy still flows through me every time I pop an earbud in.

It's funny looking back on my pre-concert plans for that Sunday. No where on my list did I have St. Lucia. Now, if i were to remake the same list, I may have to bump a couple "headliners" down to make room for songs like "Dancing On Glass," "Elevate," and of course "Physical." I am very optimistic in my hopes to see them in concert again soon, possibly at Music Midtown 2017?? Now, don't get me wrong, St. Lucia has yet to surpass my 8 year obsession with The Killers, but they sure are on their way.