Is Spring Break An Open Invitation To Bash Your Body?

To the girl dieting and overexercising to achieve her "Spring Break" body- you already have it and do not need to do anything at all.

32

Going to an all- girls high school has made me realize many things. One of the things that I learned was that Spring Break is not a time that I look forward to.

I want to clarify that it is not Spring Break itself that I do not look forward to (because who wouldn't be excited for a week or more off from school?!) No, it is the month leading up to spring break that I absolutely can not stand. Here's a few reasons why (And yes! While I am trying to fix my habits and become confident, I admit that I too engage in a body-shaming lifestyle.).

1. Bathing suit shopping: Of course, i love going shopping for a new cute suit, however when the trends of the season come around, I become the 'odd ball' that doesn't participate in the latest fads simply because I refuse to spend any more than about $25 (and that is pushing it) on a swimsuit.

Second, aside from the money aspect, I hate the feeling of trying on a bathing suit for the first time since last summer, and trying to find the one that fits perfectly. I think many people can agree with me on the feeling of uncertainty when exposing a product of winter: ashy legs and a stomach that has not seen sun in what feels like forever.

2. The spray tans and artificial tanning. I totally understand that being a shade darker can make you feel more confident. But come on people, take it easy and make it look at least somewhat natural, not orange.

And the smell of spray tans that fills the hallways...

3. The "Spring Break Body". Why why why why why is this a thing?!

First, to all girls everywhere: your body is PERFECT the way it is... you do not need to change anything about yourself.

Second- No you do not need to lose weight! Exercising and eating right to be healthy is one thing, but to simply deprive your body of nutrition and over exercising is harmful and unnecessary! If you are doing it for yourself, to be healthier, good for you- that's incredible! But if you're doing it simply to look good according to other people, confidence and happiness are what make you radiantly beautiful, not how your body looks.

4 Being surrounded by (extreme) dieters. Not eating for the weeks leading up to Spring Break is a horrible thing to do. It is not healthy whatsoever, and plus- weight loss is not an over-night thing, you have to work towards it. You need to have a healthy caloric intake!!!

Please, eat whatever the heck you want. You deserve it and its DELICIOUS !!! Embrace who you are and what you look like.

And to those of you that beat yourself up for being 'fat', remember:

Regardless of what size you are- "You are not fat, you have fat. You also have fingernails, you are not a fingernail." - Mantra Yoga Mag

5. Staying home for Spring Break and hearing everyone's stories when you return to school. The same goes for if a huge group of friends goes to the same place and one or two friends go somewhere different- be courteous of who's around when you're talking about the best week of your life.

and when everybody comes back with a tan, and it was raining the whole week at home (or wherever you vacationed)...

So, no this is not an article bashing spring break or those that get excited and carried away in the hype of it all. However, I encourage you to take a stand and remind yourself and those around you that you do not need to change the way you look in order to look good in your bathing suit. You will look good no matter what, so why make yourself miserable and starve yourself when instead you could be happy and treating yourself to delicious foods! You are wonderful and look beautiful regardless of how your body looks, what kind of clothes you wear, or what shade your skin is. What matters is that you are happy and feel good about yourself. For if you are confident in who you are, you will have a radiance about you that shines greatly, and when you are happy, smiling, and laughing with those you love- that is true beauty.

You are enough, always& forever, no matter what.