My Thoughts As Sports Are Planning To Comeback During A Pandemic

As June comes to a close, next month brings some excitement yet big concerns.

48
Photo by LOGAN WEAVER on Unsplash

The last full week of June was eventful in the world sports coming with big decisions and game-changing moments as the calendar turns to July.

From the Bubba Wallace noose incident this week at the GEICO 500, MLB announcing the start of the 2020 season, and Liverpool winning their first Primer League title in over 30 years the week ended with some highs and lows as the big the four leagues, the NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL plan a comeback next month giving America the return of pro sports. My natural feeling as a fan is excitement, but with doubt and concern.

COVID-19 continues to plague sports leagues as more players are testing positive and there being issues of facilities in states not being safe to practice. As a former athlete, I understand that you want to play with the opportunity to win the title, but doing it over your health is a no. Players like Avery Bradley, the Lakers Point Guard, opted out of playing when the NBA resumes in Orlando. I can't imagine the season going through with the current state of world and fans in a silent arena.

I do miss being at a stadium during the playoffs and regular season. It is a fantastic atmosphere with fans chanting, the spectacle of events in the game, and the moments created that last a lifetime. As much as I would love to see my teams, the Toronto Maple Leafs, Denver Nuggets, and New York Yankees be competing for a championship, the time is not right now.

Games played with no fans like in the Premier league bring my concern over the look of games, playing out the rest of the year.

Watching Liverpool's 30-year drought end and my favorite player Mohamed Salah win his first title was not the same without the traditional ceremonies. If there were no pandemic, a massive number of fans would celebrate the win in the streets and stadium, seeing them win for the first time since 1990. Instead, seeing just pictures in the stand filling a football stadium while meme funny does not feel authentic.

Liverpool clinch first Premier League title | NBC Sportswww.youtube.com

There are so many question marks and hope to have once a safe yet enjoyable return to competition with fans in the stands to cheer on. With cases rising globally in an ongoing study by John Hopkins University, it would be hard to continue or start a season for any sport. As it is a big hole missing for me personally, I would rather wait till it is safe again to enjoy the moments, whether at a restaurant with friends or returning to the famous stadiums of my favorite teams to cheer on. Let's hope July brings promise to all fans in some shape or form.