To The Sport That Changed My Life

To The Sport That Changed My Life

Thank you, Softball.

18
To The Sport That Changed My Life
Dartmouth Sports

To softball, the sport that changed my life,

Thank you for making me miss out on many sleepovers, school dances, and G.N.O.s throughout the many years.

Thank you for leaving scars up and down my legs that will never go away.

Thank you for causing tension between my sisters and I when we got frustrated with each other.

Thank you for having me wake up at ridiculous hours every weekend to travel to ridiculous destinations.

Thank you for damaging my back for the rest of my life.

But more importantly...

Thank you for allowing me to learn a sport that many are not fortunate enough to play. Softball was very expensive throughout the years and I know my parents sacrificed a lot of money that could have gone towards bills or other expenses. They gave up birthday parties and dinner dates in exchange for many hours in the hot sun and pouring rain just to watch me play that sport I loved.

Thank you for teaching me life lessons the hard way. Through every season, I had the chance to take away something different, something that affected my life both on and off the field. I realized that life is not easy, nor is it fair, because of you. It is how you handle the cards that you are dealt that define you and shape you into the person you are.

Thank you for the opportunity to make best friends that I will have for the rest of my life. From the time I was 7, I had started to make friends through the organizations I played with and I am still friends with a few girls to this day. They have encouraged me when I felt like garbage and celebrated with me when I felt like I was on top of the world.

Thank you for building a stronger bond between my father and I. My dad was my coach for many years and you allowed us to build a relationship that we may have never had. You have always been a mutual interest and having him be my mentor forever changed our connection, not just as father and daughter, but as coach and player.

Thank you for building my self confidence over the years, even though I challenged why I even played on many accounts. Multiple times I felt like I was never good enough to play on the field with my teammates, but as time went on I realized that a little hard work and perseverance can go a long way. The sport made me mentally tougher and gave me a sense of confidence that I carry with me today.

So thank you, thank you for everything.

Sincerely,

A forever grateful veteran of God's greatest game.