40 Amazing Spoken-Word Performances You Need To Listen To

The words you did not know you needed.

515
YouTube

I've loved spoken-word poetry since the sleepover during my freshman year of high school when my friend showed me "Pretty" by Katie Makkai while we painted our nails light purple. Five years later, I watch Button Poetry religiously, and I even write and perform some of my own pieces. I specifically love watching pieces on topics of empowerment, resilience, and social activism. Here are a few of my absolute favorites.

1. "Pretty" by Katie Makkai

2. "Heels" by Imani Cezanne

3. "Black Boyfriend" by Dave Harris

4. "Not A Leader" by Muna Abdulahi

5. "Here" by Aman Batra

6. "9 Things I Would Like To Tell Every Teenage Girl" by Melissa Newman-Evans

7. "When The Fat Girl Gets Skinny" by Blythe Baird

8. "Abuela Disciplines Dominican Drake" by Noel Quiñones

9. "Ten Responses To The Phrase 'Man Up'" by Guante

10. "OCD" by Neil Hilborn

11. "Shrinking Women" by Lily Myers

14. "Dear Straight People" by Denice Frohman

15. "You Can't Have My Culture" by Kito Fortune & Aman Batra

16. "Relapse" by Blythe Baird

17. "Why We Dance" by Dave Harris

18. "21" by Patrick Roche

19. "10 Honest Thoughts On Being Loved By A Skinny Boy" by Rachel Wiley

20. "Like Totally Whatever" by Melissa Lozada-Oliva

21. "Friend Zone" by Dylan Garity

22. "Weighing My Worth" by Beck Cooper & Jim Dulin

23. "Art Major v. Derrick" by Cy Ferguson

24. "Fat Girl" by Megan Falley

25. "Explaining My Depression To My Mother" by Sabrina Benaim

26. "To The Boys Who May One Day Date My Daughter" by Jesse Parent

27. "Skirt Steak Girls" by Blythe Baird

28. "Mom" by Alyesha Wise & Aman Batra

29. "Word Choice" by Imani Cezanne

30. "Mother Loves Me" by Arvind Nandakumar

31. "I Don't Have An Anxiety Problem" by Aman Batra

32. "For Colored Girls (The Missy Elliot Poem)" by Ashlee Haze

33. "My Name" by Yesika Salgado & Aman Batra

34. "For Teenage Girls" by Clementine Von Radics

35. "Pocket-Sized Feminism" by Blythe Baird

36. "Shiv" by Rachel McKibbens

37. "Yet Another Rape Poem" by Blythe Baird

38. "Too Big" by Beck Cooper

39. "The Help" by Ashlee Haze

40. "Girl Code 101" by Blythe Baird

From Your Site Articles