You Have To Spin It To Win it

You Have To Spin It To Win it

Some tips and tricks on how to cycle successfully.

24
You Have To Spin It To Win it
Fit Deer Park

Indoor cycling, aka, "spinning," is a workout trend, originating from cyclist training, that has exploded in popularity recently. Contrary to popular belief, spinning is not just aimless pedaling for a period of time- it's actually pretty hard and can be a full-body workout depending on how you choose to go about it. I know, I know, it's hard to believe that pedal pushing for forty-five minutes can be a sufficient source of exercise, producing (basically) gallons of sweat upon completion, but trust me. The classes range anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour, and can burn up to 900 calories, depending on how hard you choose to go. The time flies by and is such an easy way to incorporate exercise into even the busiest of schedules.

By pushing your self to the limits during, say, a 45 minutes class, time flies as you not only tone your body, but you also build mental strength and a higher workout capacity. There is a knob on each bike to turn and increase or decrease the tension on the bike, ensuring that you are able to go at your own comfortable pace. Each spin studio is different, some having TV monitors to track distance and calories, and others simply having the bikes and little else. The music is always loud and full of energy to liven up the hard-working room and encourage rigorous, blood-pumping, adrenaline-filled cardio.

In my experience, it has been difficult to find a workout that is both purposeful and manageable. I always hated going to the gym, as I was never motivated to go to a building with much more fit, sweaty strangers surrounding me as I struggled to do my own thing. My first experience with cycling came when I went to SoulCycle with my cousin one morning. I had only heard about it as a "mom" workout, but upon arrival, I saw people covered in as much sweat as if they had just swam in a pool of it. I was scared. "How can anyone sweat so much from riding a bike for 45 minutes?" I asked. But then my time came to saddle up. After fumbling with the bike and trying to follow the employee's assistance as best as I could, I was finally in business and began my ride. The instructor was screaming, candles were lit, the music was blasting, the tension was fluctuating, and in less than an hour my body was physically exhausted, sweating from head to toe, and my soul experienced some sort of unexplainable revival. Dramatic as it may seem, it truly was awesome. I had finally found something I loved that I could handle and do frequently. So began my spin-kick, and here I sit months later, having brought many people to classes, helping convert them to the cycult. (Can I make that a thing? A cycling cult?)

There are some things to know before hopping on, however. Even though cycling has been proven for improving cardiovascular health as well as being great for the knees, if not done properly, injuries can occur. Here are some of my tips on what to do before, after, and during your ride to ensure the best experience possible.

What To Bring:

- Water (lots & lots of H20!)

- Towel (For sweat. So, maybe two towels?)

- Bike shoes (If the studio doesn't provide them)

- Headband

Plan Ahead

Because of how short the classes are, there is little to no time for dilly-dallying. Classes are usually very punctual, so make sure you know when your ride begins. Reserving a seat is crucial to ensuring you find a bike. Always be sure to go on the website of the studio you plan on spinning at and reserve your seat where you please. There is nothing wrong with sitting in the back, and nothing especially right about sitting in the front- just pick a seat where you feel comfortable. No matter where you sit, make sure to hydrate. You should drink at least 20 ounces of water before biking, as it is quite the workout, and you are sure to sweat. That being said, make sure to wear clothes you don't mind getting drenched with sweat. Seriously. Because of the not-so-comfortable bike seats, workout pants are also advised. They are definitely much better than shorts so that your leg sweat doesn't make for a slip-and-slide on your seat. (Happened to me. Not fun. Gross.)

Adjust Your Bike

For first timers, getting your bike adjusted is key. The right height on the seat is when one leg is at a 30-degree angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke. As for the handlebars, position them so the neck and back doesn’t strain. Strap or clip in the feet using bike shoes (that may or may not be provided through the studio): The balls of the feet should rest on the center of the pedal and the kneecap should be aligned directly with the center, too. An employee at the studio should be more than happy to help you adjust to your perfect setting. Just be sure to let them know.

Work Hard

It's forty-five minutes out of your day. You are there to work hard. Do not cheat yourself out of a good workout. Work to the best of your ability for the short time you're there. You're only hurting yourself if you don't push it to the limit and go all out. Leave it all on the bike because that's what you're there for! You got this!

Post Workout

Be sure to cool down and stretch if the instructor doesn't take time to do so. Stretch out your arms, legs, neck, shoulders, and back to help ensure that you're not sore the next day. Make sure you drink even more water than before your workout, so that you don't become dehydrated from all that water loss. Make smart eating choices so you don't feel like you've let all that hard work go to waste.

What I have come to find is that cycling is good for the mind, body, and soul. Don't trust anyone but yourself when it comes to forming an opinion about it. Take a friend and try it out! You could surprise yourself and come to find that you actually enjoy it. Just go out there and give it a shot. What have you got to lose?

Popular Cycling Studios:

https://www.soul-cycle.com/

https://www.flywheelsports.com/

http://www.cyclelabstudio.com/

http://cyclehousela.com/

http://www.auraworkout.com/