How Did I Not Hear About The Movie "Southpaw"?

One moment can defeat you. One chance can redeem you.

76
wallpaperscraft.com

Honestly, I didn't even remember hearing about this movie when it first came out in July of 2015. I didn't even remember that I saw this preview until after I finally watched the movie over a year later.

You know how, if you see something, it can end up triggering a memory. Well, I believe I was sitting on my mom's living room floor when it came on the television. I remember thinking something like, "Is this another love story?" or "Oh, it's just another boxing story." At least, I had to be thinking something like this because I didn't remember it until now. If you've seen one boxing movie, you've seen them all.

I couldn't have been further from the truth though. This movie had be crying for a good half hour before and after the movie ended. And some of you might think that is a bad thing, but really, it's not. I don't cry in movies unless an animal gets hurt or dies, but this move had none of that and I had tears running down my face.

I believe there are three things that made me react so strongly with this movie: the emotions, the soundtrack and the storyline.

Right away in the movie, we become invested in the Hope family. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I won't be giving any specifics, but the chemistry between Jake Gyllenhaal (star role as Billy Hope), Rachel McAdams (Billy Hope's wife, Maureen) and Oona Laurence (their daughter, Leila Hope) was on point. They seemed like a real family. It was as if you could literally see all the love and history between the three of them, and that only made the story stronger. Not to mention how great each actor/actress played their parts. Gyllenhaal especially portrayed his character perfectly.

Now, some of you might not have an Eminem fan in your corner, but I do. So, even though I had no idea what the movie was, I knew that Eminem was originally supposed to have stared in it. Due to reasons unknown to me (since there were a lot of different things being said) Eminem dropped out of the movie and decided to do the soundtrack instead.

The thing is that I couldn't imagine Eminem being able to do what Gyllenhaal did with that role. He put so much emotion into the character Billy Hope that I didn't see Eminem do in his movie "8 mile". I don't think the movie would have been the same if it was Eminem playing that part.

But with Eminem in charge of the soundtrack, it only makes sense that it adds the right feeling to the movie. There are not a lot of movies out there where I think that the soundtrack adds to the movie. The two songs, both of which are by Eminem, stand out to me in particular: "Phenomenal" and "Kings Never Die" feat. Gwen Stefani. Both of them capture the story so well and add an element that acting simply cannot do. "Phenomenal" is played during the training montage that switches between Billy Hope and another boxer that challenged him in the beginning of the movie. While the actors are acting in a way that can only be described as fierce, the song gives it that extra kick. Also, the fact that this movie is supposed to describe Eminem's life in an analogy of boxing probably makes these song personal. Which in turn makes them stronger and add to the storyline.

As I said in the beginning, if you've seen one boxing movie, you've seen them all. There will be the boxer that we are supposed to be behind, there will be a conflict of not being the best, there will be a training montage, a punch here, a punch there and it will end with a shiny new belt of triumph. While that may pertain to this story, it doesn't encompass the whole thing.

There is a family element to the story that keeps you angry and aching at the same time. There is a self-irrationality that will make you annoyed and shake your head. There is a professional side of people that are supposed to be family friends that make you question what their real motive is. There is a father daughter relationship that will break your heart.

This movie will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time starting with the first match—wondering if there is any way the outcome won't end badly.

I highly recommend seeing this movie.