I'm A Southern Republican In Favor Of Gun Control

The Second Amendment should keep us safe too.

14
NewsMax

The South, let alone the Republican party, is not very welcoming of those in favor of gun control. I fall into a category where my political party and community oppose my opinions on the issue. In light of all the violence that has recently taken place, there is no better time than now to talk about gun control and why it is vital to our progression as a nation.

To start off, I would like to establish a few definitions. There is a difference between a gun ban and gun control. A ban would mean taking every firearm off the shelves and pretending that the right to bear arms never existed. Control is simply restricting the sale and use of weapons to protect all citizens. Banning the use and sale of fire arms would simply end up in revolt and make the current situation worse. All we need is some reform in how we handle our guns.

I am not a pistol-packing person. You will not find me out hunting during season or at the range on the weekend. Although, I personally do not choose to fool with guns, I have absolutely no problem with those who do carry safely and legally. Obtaining a carry permit is as simple as a few hours of time and 50 bucks. When I see individuals going through all the proper protocol to legally carry and operate a fire arm, I know that they take seriously the potential damage a gun could cause. Guns do not kill people, but owners who are not properly trained have the potential to do some serious damage.

Reform on gun laws can be greatly affected by a simple system of checks and balances. Limiting the sale of fire arms can reduce the chance of someone who is ill-fit to be carrying, purchase a gun. Simple background checks to wave any suspect of violent history or terrorism would aid in avoiding another tragedy. Providing reading material and safety videos on the responsibilities of owning a gun and how to make sure everyone stays safe would be extremely beneficial. Reducing availability and supply could impact any haste decisions to purchase a fire arm. Most of the aforementioned practices are currently being used for other hot button topics like abortion. If we took gun control as seriously as we do other issues, we might be one less horrific tragedy.

We live in a time today where our every action seems to be governed by a higher authority. The Second Amendment Right to bear arms should remain as it has been since the founding of our country. We live in a nation that celebrates freedom. All I ask is for a little gun control to make our free nation a safer place for everyone.