25 Times You've Had Absolutely No Clue What These Southern Phrases Meant

Our language, explained.

48

If you grew up in the south, you have probably heard at least one (or maybe all) of these phrases. It just wouldn't be life without our southern-isms. I'm almost positive that anybody who reads this article has used at least one of these. There's no need to be ashamed. It's just a part of being from the south.

1. Cotton pickin'

A nicer term for the "D" word. Ex: Husband: "I think I may go buy a new truck!" Wife: "Have you lost your cotton pickin' mind?"

2. John Brown

Used when something is a surprise. Ex: "She got the job!" "Well, I'll be John Brown."

3. Two cents

An unwanted opinion. Ex: "We could've lived without her two cents."

4. Turd floater

A very heavy rain. Ex: "It's gonna be coming a turd floater tonight."

5. Hill of beans

Used to describe something of no value. Ex: "He don't amount to a hill of beans."

6. Cattywampus

Not lined up evenly on both sides. Ex: "That mirror is cattywampus."

7. As all get out

To the uttermost degree. Ex: "Once she makes up her mind, she will be stubborn as all get out."

8. Sugar

A way to say kiss or lovin'. Ex: "Go give your grandma some sugar."

9. A lick of sense

No common sense. Ex: "That boy ain't got a lick of sense."

10. Ugly

A way to say bad. Ex: "Y'all need to stop being ugly."

11. Plumb

Another way to say absolutely. Ex: "Now that was just plumb stupid."

12. Highfalutin'

Another way to say fancy. Ex: "Look at those highfalutin' people over there."

13. Lose my religion

Used when someone loses their temper. Ex: "You're about to make me lose my religion."

14. Floats your boat

A way to say makes you happy. Ex: "Do whatever floats your boat."

15. Doohickey

Used when you can't think of the name of an object. Ex: "Pass me that doohickey over there."

16. Preaching to the choir

Presenting an argument that people agree with. Ex: "Honey, you're preaching to the choir."

17. Conniption

A fit of rage. Ex: "Yall watch out! She's about to have a conniption fit!"

18. High cotton

Used when your possessions are more expensive than your social status. Ex: "Did you see him diving that Corvette?" "Yeah, he's choppin' high cotton."

19. Not my first rodeo

Used to show someone is not naive or inexperienced. Ex: "Listen sweetheart, this isn't my first rodeo."

20. Lord have mercy

Used in disbelief. Ex: "So and so is pregnant again!" "Lord have mercy."

21. Just in the nick of time

Just in time. Ex. "She got here just in the nick of time."

22. Bury the hatchet

To settle differences. Ex: "I'm tired of fighting. Let's just bury the hatchet."

23. Butter up

A term used when flattering someone. Ex: "Are you just trying to butter up the boss so you can get a promotion?"

24. Chunk

Another way to say throw. Ex: "Chuck that food over the fence."

25. Fiddlefart

A way to say lingering around. Ex: Yall quit fiddlefarting around and come on!"