From Odyssey to Small Town NewsPaper
News

From Odyssey to Small Town NewsPaper

I now work at a small town newspaper and it has changed my life!

12
From Odyssey to Small Town NewsPaper

Here I am, sipping wine, looking over my Odyssey profile.

I am 22 now, my last article written when I was 19 while in college.

I live in Southern Oregon now and work for a local newspaper.

Let me tell you, college does NOT prepare you for the real life!

Let me give you an inside scoop on the newspaper I work at!

You may think, oh, she got a job as a journalist! Nope! Super wrong! I am currently a Digital Media Specialist at a small town newspaper and could not be more grateful! My job has given me so many opportunities that I will forever cherish!

At college, at your newspaper, you might be like oh, this is what production day is like at a newspaper! Wrong! Production day, which is EVERYDAY, means meetings, deadlines, photography and possibly video!

Let me walk you through a typical day as a digital media specialist!

First you wake up, super tired from the day before, get ready, and trudge your way to work. Check your emails ( at home, yes adults check their email at home) and then figure out your agenda for that day. It might be a light day, might be an heavy day. In this case, a heavy day. I get to a theater I am suppose to be at, at 7:30 A.M the morning. I already have all my camera gear, including a Nikon DSLR and a Mevo that can live record anything! I walk into the theater and set up the tripod and Mevo. I take my DSLR out and make sure I have enough room on my memory card and am ready to rock and roll!

During the next 2 hours, I video the conference, including main speaker and the audience. I HAVE to make sure I have enough footage in the end to make a YouTube video that highlights the event. I also take photos to make sure the newspaper has options on photos they want posted in the paper the following day. So, if you haven't guessed, I am constantly switching between video and photo.

When the event is over, I am expected to go to the (sound proof) editing room and create a 3 minute video on the event I was just at.

Guess what, thats, SUPER hard cuz the key note speaker was amazing, but you HAVE to cut down the video to the main parts to make the event look good!

I then spend about 1 1/2 hours going through footage creating the perfect video! My boss then approves it, I upload it to YouTube and its out for the world to see!

After that, I then head over to the reporters side of the building and make sure I have the right photos that they requested and that will coincide with article written for the paper.

I then submit my photos, caption them, and submit them for the paper written the next day!

And that, folks, is a semi busy day in a digital media specialist days at a local newspaper!