Advice For Sorority Recruitment
Life Stages

5 Tips To Help You Rock Sorority Recruitment

The ultimate guide to all things rush.

297

Sorority recruitment: it's a process riddled with stereotypes and questions. Every year, incoming freshman girls and anyone else who goes through "rush" (as it's also known as) are thrown for a loop on what to wear, how to talk, and, most importantly, how to finally get to their home away from home. Here are five pieces of advice that all potential new members should follow.

Plan your outfits in advance.

I cannot stress this one enough. Recruitment is a daunting process, and you don't want to start off your day by scrambling through your closet for something to wear. Don't forget to set aside specific shoes and jewelry as well to make sure you're completely prepared for the day (and stress less!). Speaking of being prepared...

Pack a purse (you'll need it!).

Maybe don't fill it with a bucket from KFC like the purse above, but you get my point. Blotting sheets, a notepad and pen (to write down things you like about the sororities you've seen), a handheld fan (if you're going through recruitment in the heat), and a few granola bars will help you get through the long days.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

The members of each sorority you visit are as excited to see you as you are to see them! So even though this may feel like a process where the spotlight is on you and your interests, don't be scared to ask existing members how their experience in a sorority has been. It will help you to better understand what their sorority is all about and if you can see yourself as a member there.

Go in unbiased.

The worst thing you can do in sorority recruitment is confine yourself to one sorority before the process even starts. It's bound to leave you disappointed, and you won't be able to enjoy getting to know other sororities and their members if you're focused on only one. By keeping an open mind, you can weigh all of your options equally and choose the house that's right for you.

Remember to have fun.

It's easy to get caught up in the insanity that is recruitment. That's why it's important that you allow yourself to have fun. Every house wants to get to know you, so allow yourself to make friends, get to know members, and soak in this once-in-a-lifetime experience for all its worth.