What It's Like Being On Your Sorority's Executive Board
Lifestyles

8 Things No One Tells You About Being On Your Sorority's Executive Board

Because it's more than just a fancy title.

532
Kaylin Harding

Being on my sorority's executive board has totally changed my sorority experience in the best way possible. It's had its ups and downs (which I'll go more into later), but overall it's been an experience I wouldn't take back.

When I first joined my sorority, the idea of being on the executive board was one that seemed very daunting to me. It seemed like this unattainable thing that was made for anyone but me. I knew they sat in meetings every week and, well... that was about it, that's all I knew. When I first joined, there were some things that I wish someone would have told me going into my position.

1. No matter the position, you're going to be criticized.

Kaylin Harding

Whether you're the president, or just VP of Communications (the girl who runs the Instagram, like me) you're going to get criticized. You'd be surprised the things people complain about. The filter, the captions, I've heard it all.

2. It's more than just a fancy title.

Kaylin Harding

Sounds fancy right? Executive board. Well while it is very fancy in some aspects, most of the time is just 15 girls sitting in a room in sweats talking srat business.

3. It can take the magic out of being in a sorority.

Kaylin Harding

Most people think that being in a sorority is all fun and games. And sometimes it is. But being on exec, you hear it all. The good, the bad, the ugly; things that general members will never hear about. But sometimes knowing what happens behind all the glitter and cute Instagram pictures can be a major downer.

4. The other girls on the board are more than just the "executive board" to you.

Kaylin Harding

Hours spent together each week with a group of girls talking about things that no one else knows or understands creates a special kind of bond between you guys. The girls I've met on exec have quickly become my best friends, and I don't think I could have made it through my time in office without them.

5. No one else gets it.

Kaylin Harding

Amongst all the struggles that you'll go through, no one else will understand what you're going through besides those girls. They get it. For me, my best friend (and also madame president) Ashlee has been that person for me. I can recall one specific night where I called her after a meeting bawling, swearing I was done and was going to drop. Thankfully, she could relate to me but also talked me off the ledge.

6. Elections are harsh.

Kaylin Harding

There are gonna be people who get mad over your position, or others. Maybe it's because they wanted the position or maybe it's just that they don't think you're right for the job. But that's where you come in: prove them wrong.

7. It's a thankless job.

Kaylin Harding

Not only is being on exec unpaid, but it's often thankless. General members rarely see what work goes on behind the scenes, making it's easy to feel unrecognized...

8. It will make you stronger.

Kaylin Harding

Despite the few negatives that come with being on the exec board, at the end of the day it makes you stronger. I can say that not only has it grown my resume and helped me build my skills, it's made me tougher and more equipped for the real world.

If you're considering running for a position on your executive board, I say do it. But also be prepared for a solid group of friends but also be prepared for hell at times.