11 Songs You Had No Idea Ed Sheeran Wrote
Music

OK, he co-wrote some of these, but still.

627

I may be biased when I say that Ed Sheeran is one of the best songwriters of the current generation. I've been a fan of Sheeran's for over six years now, before his global career took off. However, regardless of opinion on his talent, Sheeran is one of the most in-demand songwriters in the industry right now, and it's very likely one of your favorite songs was written by the British superstar.

1. "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber

That's right, one of Justin Bieber's most famous songs from his "Purpose" album "Love Yourself" was co-written by Ed Sheeran and Benny Blanco (who also served as the producer of the song). The song features tell-tale signs of Sheeran's presence on the track such as the multiple meanings of the term "Love Yourself" throughout the song. The same type of word play can be seen throughout many of Sheeran's tracks.

2. "Little Things" by One Direction

If you were a Directioner in 2012, you definitely cried to the black and white music video for "Little Things" by One Direction. The song was written by Sheeran and Fiona Bevan when Sheeran was just 17! The ballad was the second single from the boy band's second album "Take Me Home" and proved to be a fan favorite and one that resonated with women of all ages. Bevan has even expressed how she received messages from women and girls who expressed what the song meant to them.

3. "2002" by Anne-Marie

"2002" by Anne-Marie is one of this years sweetest love songs that instills a sense of childhood nostalgia. Sheeran was not just one of the songwriters, but he also pestered Anne-Marie (who originally did not plan to release the song as a single) to release it. The song charted in many countries around the world, proving Sheeran's intuition about the song correct.

4. "Eastside" by benny blanco 

The summer ballad "Eastside" features vocals from Khalid and Halsey (who both also share writing credits, along with Sheeran and Blanco). It's not surprising that Sheeran and Blanco collaborated on Blanco's first release under his name as just on the first four songs of this list, Sheeran and Blanco collaborated on three.

5. "Strip That Down" by Liam Payne

The One Direction member's first solo release after the hiatus was "Strip That Down" was co-written by Sheeran and shows his versatility with genre. The song was later certified platinum in both the US and UK.

6. "Don't Let Me Be Yours" by Zara Larsson

"Don't Let Me Be Yours" by Zara Larsson is the seventh single from her album "So Good" and Sheeran even provides backing vocals for the track.

7. "Parallel Line" by Keith Urban

Like I mentioned above, Sheeran is versatile in all genres, he even tries his hand at country music, "Parallel Line" by Keith Urban is yet another example of that.. It is also another collaboration between him and Blanco.

8. "The Rest of Our Life" by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill

"The Rest of Our Life" by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill is another foray into the country genre. The song was the first single off the married couple's first joint album and the song was praised by the couple for it's intimacy and the way the song reminded them of their own relationship.

9. "Woman Like Me" by Little Mix

This song came as the biggest surprise for me on the list. The first single off British girl group Little Mix's fifth album "LM5". The song was originally written by Sheeran and Jess Glynne for her second album, but it didn't fit and was given to Little Mix to record. "Woman Like Me" has since been on charts all around the world.

10. "Your Song" by Rita Ora

Sheeran is one of only two songwriters credited for "Your Song" by Rita Ora (the other being Steve Mac, another frequent Sheeran collaborator). The song was certified both gold and platinum in many countries.

11. "Hotel Ceiling" by Rixton

Many people know Sheeran is known for his own sad songs including "Small Bump" and "Supermarket Flowers", but Sheeran also writes sad songs for other artists such as "Moments" by One Direction and "Hotel Ceiling" by Rixton. The song is about grief and the death of a lover. The song and music video is often regarded as depressing and sad but was still positively received.