Musical Theatre Songs To Spark A Revolution

A soundtrack for the resistance.

1990
youtube.com

I've been looking for anthems recently; trying to put together a playlist to get myself emotionally pumped to create change in my life and the world. I'm a theatre nerd, so basically, the whole thing is comprised of original cast recordings. And mostly (read: all) contemporary musicals. Here is what I have so far...

1. Deliver Us, The Prince of Egypt

Start the playlist off right with a little war cry from a highly underrated film that is rumored to be making a mainstage debut soon! Also listen to Through Heaven's Eyes and When You Believe .

2. Beautiful, Ordinary Days

This is going to seem like an odd choice, but I think this song is so very important. The whole show is really lovely, but this song is the heart of the message: to see beauty we have to change the way we look at the world.

3. You Walk With Me, The Full Monty

Warning, this one will make you cry probably.

4. Once Upon a Time, Brooklyn The Musical

This tiny little powerhouse brings down a fairytale ending that will have you standing in your seat.

5. One Last Prayer, Republic

This is so gorgeous and moving. Kerrigan and Lowdermilk are insane. Wait until the end, it makes me cry so much.
"Why not run? Why on earth would you stay? When there’s nothing left to pray for, why in God’s name would you pray?"

6. I'm Here, The Color Purple

HECK. Amiright?

7. You Will Be Found, Dear Evan Hansen

This is such a moving and relevant musical right now. It focuses on mental health issues and the struggles we face in a social media obsessed musical. Just listen to it. It's important.

"Even when the dark comes crashing through, when you need a friend to carry you, when you're broken on the ground: you will be found."

8. Raise Your Voice, Sister Act

This is such a jam.

9. Who Lives Who Dies Who Tells Your Story, Hamilton

The finale of the world's revolutionary rap musical about the founding fathers. The whole score is full of anthems.

10. Changing My Major, Fun Home

An all-female creative team made this show a stand out. It's a must listen to for anyone in the LGBTQ community.

11. Stronger, Finding Neverland

A wonderful song from a strangely inspiring musical about the life of J. M. Barrie

12. Somewhere, West Side Story

Sung in this video by the incomparable Lea Salonga.

13. Stop, The Danger Year

A really lovely song written by Georgia Stitt that reminds us that we all need to slow down and stop running away from the things that scare us.

"Turn everything off and see how you fare. Stop running away from the people who care. Whatever you're seeking is already there. Stop."

14. Someday, Hunchback of Notre Dame

Honestly this whole show. The whole thing. Go. Listen. To. It. Right now.

15. Light, Next To Normal

When I say that this show saved my life a million times over, I'm not kidding. This was the soundtrack to my high school life. It made me feel so much less alone and so much more understood. Next to Normal is an extraordinary piece of theatre that delves into the ways mental health affect all parts of a family. This song is an amazing finale filled with hope and, well, light.

"You don't have to be happy at all to be happy you're alive."

16. Love Who You Love, A Man Of No Importance

Also check out Welcome To The World from the same show.

17. Make Them Hear You, Ragtime

This is an amazing musical of change that I am lucky enough to be working on at Plymouth State University right now. Also check out 'Til We Reach That Day.

"And say to those who blame us for the way we chose to fight, that sometimes there are battles that are more than black or white. And I would not put down my sword when justice was my right."

18. Do You Hear The People Sing, Les Miserables

This wouldn't be a revolution playlist without a little Les Mis.

Honorable Mention features What I Did For Love from A Chorus Line, No One Is Alone from Into The Woods, Woman from The Pirate Queen, and I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray.

What is your anthem of change?