Song Lyrics To Live By

17 Song Lyrics To Help You Become A Better Version Of Yourself

Time to get hit in the feels.

85

For many people, music is a healing place of escape and emotion. There have been so many songs that have helped me get through various times of my life. As a huge quote lover, I sometimes hold onto these song lyrics for dear life: making lists of them in my notes app, sharing them on social media, and even creating artwork out of them. So now its time to put all of my lyric hoarding to the test and give you guys all some song lyrics that will help you as much as they have helped me. From a variety of genres, artists, and lyrics that will accompany you through all facets of life.

1. "I know that no, I'm not alright. But I'll be okay 'cause anything can, everything can happen. That's the story of my life," -Story of My Life by Bon Jovi

I'll kick off this article with a song that definitely goes into the category of my all-time favorite songs. A goosebump song for sure. For one thing, Bon Jovi is a band that means a lot to my family and me. However, this song, in particular, speaks to me on a deeper level. What I love most about this song is how it teaches people to roll with the punches and accept life's imperfections. And as you all could probably guess, I love a good story analogy.

"Drench yourself in words unspoken; live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins; the rest is still unwritten," - Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

Another story analogy for you. This song has always given me the inspiration to live my life to the beat of my own drum. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do. Everything you do in life should be your decision and your decision only.

"But the grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it," -As Long As You Love Me by Justin Bieber

A good ol' JBiebs throwback with a subtle hint of wittiness. The famous quote, "the grass is always greener on the other side" is a false vision of how life works. Rather than wishing for something to change, it is up to you to make that opportunity better for yourself. My mom always likes to tell me that you can't control other things or other people, you can only control yourself.

"Reach for the stars, and if you fall you land on a cloud" -Homecoming by Kanye West

Sometimes Kanye says some inspiring things... This quote reminds me that not trying at all automatically doesn't allow you to succeed. Though you may risk failing, you'll never get to your goals without giving it all you got.

"I know you've never loved the crinkles by your eyes when you smile. You've never loved your stomach or your thighs. The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine, but I'll love them endlessly," -Little Things by One Direction

Ugh, this song is goals. Women especially spend so much time stewing over their physical appearance when in reality no one really sees what we see because everyone else is focused on themselves. But sometimes, a good reminder will do the trick and give us the confidence in who we are to be better. We should all find the kind of love that loves us through all of our imperfections.

"The struggles I'm facing, the chances I'm taking, might sometimes knock me down, but no I'm not breaking," -The Climb by Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana here to motivate us yet again. When life knocks you down, you sure as heck better get up stronger than you were before.

"Even if it breaks your heart, even if it tears your world apart, still keep holding on, if something's worth saving" -Something Worth Saving by Gavin DeGraw

Would this even be a ~feels~ lyric article without a classic breakup song? Through some of the biggest challenges in my life, this song has reminded me that whatever or whoever you love, if it's worth holding onto, make it known. I am a firm believer that everything happens like it is supposed to and if it truly is "worth saving," then it will make its way back at the right place and time.

"Time won't fly, it's like I'm paralyzed by it. I'd like to be my old self again, but I'm still trying to find it," -All Too Well by Taylor Swift

What people say is really true--time is the only thing that can heal a loss or a broken heart, and this song by TSwiftie is a great reminder of that. Everyone goes through difficult times in their life where they may not be fully committed to their goals or fully who their typical personality reads to be. However, these changes happen at a different pace for everyone, so don't rush it and enjoy where you are in the present.

"There's more to life than just to live," -Hold On by The Jonas Brothers

Oh, the JoBros. I love this quote because it captures what happens to everyone pretty much on a daily basis. We spend so much of our lives just going through the motions without truly taking the time to enjoy the present moment and do your part to make a difference in the world.

"I gotta let her hear the best love song she ever heard in her life. No need for me to write it, I just gotta picture her smiling," -Best Love Song by T-Pain

Not only is thing song such a bop, but it is also the way that every girl deserves to be treated. Okay, well, unfortunately not every person we love can write us a song, but love is truly about letting people know how we feel, and I am such a firm believer in doing that.

"We ain't got a lot, but we sure do a lot with the little bit that we got," -Nothin' To Do Town by Dylan Scott

I am guilty of saying that I'm bored often. Like probably everyday. But I think I need to remind myself that everyday doesn't need to be the greatest day of my life or else those special moments wouldn't be as meaningful. It's important to find joy and appreciate the little things in life. No, I am surely not full of money and fancy clothes, but the small things that I have learned to value in life are the things that matter most.

"Plus I met someone else, we havin' better discussions. I know they say I move on too fast, but this one gon' last. 'Cause her name is Ari, and I'm so good with that," -thank u, next by Ariana Grande

"thank u, next," is a song that reminds people that you need to love yourself before you can love someone else. Breakups are definitely tough, but they are probably the period of your life where you do the most work on yourself, figuring out who you want to be and how you want to be loved in the future. Ariana Grande is the kind of person that is open about her past, which is why I think she is such a great role model.

"Blonder hair, flat chest, T.V. says "bigger is better." South Beach, sugar-free, Vogue says, 'thinner is better'"- Pretty Hurts by Beyonce 

Beyoncé has been one of my all time favorite artists, due to not only her insane talent but her remarkable confidence. Many of her songs inspire women and help them be their best selves. What I love about this song in particular is how much it sheds light onto to how the world emphasizes beauty and how narrow-minded and contradictory this perception is. Things like models, celebrities, clothing stores, and social media play a large role into how women believe they are supposed to look. And the unfortunate truth is that nobody's perfect.

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends. There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends," -Circle by Harry Chapin

This song gives me ultimate camp vibes. What this song has taught me is that life doesn't need to be all or nothing. With every challenge comes an opportunity to rise above it, and you're going to learn this time and time again, with every challenge that you face.

"I owned every second that this world could give. I saw so many places; The things that I did, yeah with every broken bone, I swear I lived," -I Lived by OneRepublic

This bop is truly the ultimate inspiration to go out and live life to the fullest, and don't let anything in your past keep you from going after what you want.

"It's the very first breath when your head's been drowning underwater," -1-800-273-8255 by Logic

Logic has always been one of my favorite rappers (not that I actually know that many lol), but it's mainly because he takes risks and challenges himself to be better. What I love the most about this song is how it progresses from a place of negative energy and an emphasis on death and loneliness to an empowering message on the importance of asking for help and realizing that you're not alone. I'm sure that he saved a lot of lives with this song and inspired many people to open up about their story.

"Now I'm twenty-five and I'm drinking wine with my wife at home. Got a couple of dogs and a couple of songs on the radio. And we sit around and we laugh about how we used to be, when all we cared about was turning sixteen," -Sixteen by Thomas Rhett

Thomas Rhett has so many relatable songs and this one is no exception. Throughout the song, he talks about how at each "milestone age" that he reached (sixteen, eighteen, and twenty-one), he couldn't wait to receive all the perks of being just a little bit older. At the end of the song, he is reminded of how just how much simpler things were when he was younger, and that he shouldn't have spent all that time wishing to grow up. I can definitely relate to this song because when I was a kid, I would love to eavesdrop on all of my parents "adult" conversations, just wishing I could be just like them. Rather than wishing for Friday, or for summer, or to be older, enjoy what you have in the present and appreciate your life at every milestone you reach.

The truth is, there are plenty of my favorite songs that didn't make this list, and that list could be an article for another time in itself. Oftentimes we don't really pay attention to the lyrics of songs and this article is really just trying to get at songs that are special to me not because of its tune or the artists' voice, but because they have an important message to share. Words carry so much weight in our lives, and music is such a simple and easy way to inspire you to be better. These songs are some that are special to me, but I'm sure there are so many artists that are dying to have their important voice be heard.