14 Social Justice Songs To Give You Hope After George Floyd's Tragic Murder And Memorial

14 Social Justice Songs To Give You Hope After George Floyd's Tragic Death And Memorial

Goodbye tears of grief, hello tears of hope and promise.

248

On May 25, 2020, George Floyd's life was taken away from him in Minneapolis, Minnesota, after police officer Derek Chauvin knelt on Floyd's neck for several minutes despite Floyd's repeated pleads and comments saying, "I can't breathe."

George Floyd's tragic, wrongful death has left the entire nation in an uproar due to the racist and unjust circumstances. George Floyd's death marks another black man that was taken away from his children at the hands of the justice system.

Floyd's homegoing service was held on Thursday in Minneapolis and aired on various news stations. I, wanting to pay my respects, tuned in and listened to a prayer delivered by Rev. Jesse Jackson before I had to change the channel.

Yesterday, June 4, 2020, was the first time in a long time that I wept.

Not just for the man who pleaded to the police officer who was "supposed" to protect him, but for his family, the nation, and future generations of Black men, women, and children.

Frankly, because it's very apparent we'll have many, many more years of fighting ahead before we are free. With every death we see broadcast on the news, we're reminded that we're still slaves to America; for, our needs, our voices, our lives don't matter.

Yet, like those before us, we will run this race until we've reached the finish line.

But, here's a list of songs to give you the strength and hope you'll need along the way.