Thank You, Betsy DeVos, For Being The Absolute Worst At Your Job

She really hasn't done anything right, but in the grand scheme of things, she may have started a vital change.

17
Flickr

Betsy DeVos is definitely, hands-down, the absolute worst. No doubt about it.

She is a woman that has little to no experience with the systematic discrimination that exists in our country. She is a white woman, upper-middle class, and has so far not been forced to face many of the barriers that a huge majority of Americans face every single day. While someone from this background could absolutely make a difference, DeVos has in zero way proven that she understands the problems our education system faces and has almost made the problem worse through her lack of understanding.

All of that being said, a small part of me (minuscule, tiny, extremely small) is thankful for DeVos.

In my own experience, I have not had to face the problems in the American education system. I’m so lucky to have been raised in a family where my parents worked their butts off to prioritize my sibling’s education and mine. I’m white and I have privilege. I went to some of the best public schools in my home state and didn’t understand that there were “worse” schools out there. I went to college, along with most all of my classmates. I thought this was normal. I didn’t understand.

I began to spend time in college with those who come from entirely different backgrounds than my own. I studied abroad in a country and firsthand experienced the systematic discrimination that prevents success in the minority communities. I came back, DeVos was elected – no, appointed – to her position. I realized our country’s educational problems are enormous, and there is systematic discrimination that is still so prominent. I was accepted to Teach For America, and now hope to make a difference in our education system when I enter the corps.

Betsy DeVos brought attention to the problems in our education system. Though it was not done in the best way possible, her media attention drew attention to the problems in education. I hope that because of this, many people who had a similar experience to myself growing up become informed on the problems in our education system.

America is broken, there’s no denying that. But providing everyone with an equal opportunity to enter the real world might start the process of mending a few of our problems.

She really hasn't done anything right, but in the grand scheme of things, she may have started a vital change in our education system by giving it the attention it deserves.