Sometimes Things May Seem Worse Than They Actually Are

Check your perception

1163

How we perceive things can greatly impact how we act or react in a situation. Everyone’s perception varies and how one perceives any given situation may differ from how someone else perceives the situation.

Sometimes our own perceptions can get in our head and hold us back. People usually remember and hold onto their own failures and shortcomings, while the rest of the world has moved on from whatever may or may not have happened. It's our own perception that keeps us stuck in that moment, holding onto what we may think of as a failure.

We are our own worst enemies. We hold onto our missteps and shortcomings and put so much energy into over thinking about them that we forget to live in the present and face things head-on with a clear perspective.

Have you ever given a presentation and thought you did horribly? You may be overanalyzing and overthinking about what you did or did not do while from someone else’s perspective, you did fine. This is only one example of how our own perceptions of everyday situations can impact the way we perceive things and how we view our own inadequacies, which may not even be there to begin with, but a creation of one's own overthinking and overanalyzing of a situation.

Here are some ways one can keep negative thoughts from impacting their perception:

Focus and take deep breaths

Try practicing deep breathing. This is an effective method that can help one slow their heart rate and help them take control of the situation.

Think positive

I know sometimes that can be difficult to do in stressful situations, but force yourself to think of at least one positive thing. Perhaps it could be that it’s a nice day… anything as long as you halt those negative thoughts and try to redirect your negative energy.

Make a list

It can be of anything, just try to keep yourself busy, like thinking about something positive this can be an effective way to also redirect your thoughts.

Just remember that nothing is ever as bad as it seems. However bad something may seem, it's probably not. It's just your perception, so try to change your perspective and you may find that things are brighter than they seem.