Sometimes Endings Are Bittersweet

Sometimes Endings Are Bittersweet

It's a bittersweet feeling knowing that summer is coming to an end.

16
Kat Dingee

It’s a bittersweet feeling knowing that summer is coming to an end. Soon enough, lounging by the beach, family vacations, and late nights out with your best friends from high school will all be over. The relaxing feeling of waking up at your leisure (when you don’t have work, of course), will slowly end — and the reality of waking up early for classes will soon enough sink in. It feels like, in a blink of an eye, summer is over. Just yesterday it seems like I was packing up my dorm room, ending my Junior year of college, and getting ready to start summer. And now, it’s slowly coming to an end.

On the other hand, it’s exciting that summer is almost over. That means, going out every night of the first week of school because it's syllabus week, catching up with your college best friends, and going to frat parties that are way too crowded - but somehow still very fun. The first month back to school is the most fun; everyone is excited to see each other, and there’s something fun going on almost every night. It’s easy to say “I can’t wait until summer is over” because you so badly want to be back at school. But, it’s important to not wish away the rest of the summer.

One of the things people take for granted is the time spent with their family, and friends from home. During the school year, many people hardly get the chance to spend time with their loved ones from home, so it’s important to make the most of the summer — because those few months of summer go by so quickly. Before you know it, it’s September, and you’re left wishing you had more time with your friends and family from home.

Make sure to make the most of your family vacation. Laugh as much as you can and hang out with your family. Play games like cards against humanity, corn hole, and even drinking games. For some, family vacations don’t come around that much. So, instead of not ever looking up from your phone, actually engage in conversation with your family. At the end of the day, they are your number one support system. Time with them should always be cherished. Get up early and watch the sunrise with your mom, and watch the sunset with your dad.

Enjoy just lounging with your friends. Whether that may be by the beach, by the pool, or in someone’s back yard. Enjoy just living in the moment. Enjoy the relaxing feeling you get by being around your friends from home — because once school starts, you’re going nonstop. My favorite pastime is literally hanging out with my friends and talking. We can make each other laugh until we cry and I wouldn’t change that for the world. Your friends from high school have probably been friends with you for years. So, they’ve been friends with you when you were in your weird middle school phase and still accept you. For that, you should be grateful.

Take advantage of waking up whenever you feel like it. On your day off work, you should be able to sleep in as late as you want. For some that might be 9:00 a.m. and for others that might be 12:00 p.m. Whenever you wake up, make the most of the day. Go for a jog, eat something healthful, read a book, and then go out for a night on the town. Instead of lying in bed, do something! Enjoy the rest of summer while it’s still here.

So, as exciting as it is that it’s almost time to go back to school, enjoy the rest of your summer. Enjoy the time with your friends and family, and tan as much as you can! Summer is the only season when you get to live freely - and live it the way you want to. Make the most of what is left!