Something Is Special Because You Are A Part Of It

The power of being a Gleek.

47
Glee Wikia

After nearly a year without Glee, I decided to go back to the beginning to see what it was I loved about the show. I have thought long and hard about what the show means to me. And I realized that yes, Cory Monteith was the main reason I watched it at first. He was cute and had one heck of a voice, but as I went along and started listening to the music itself I saw there was more to it. I learned lessons about finding a path in life that carried me through high school. Being a Gleek is about having a passion for something. The lessons it taught are at the core of living your life with purpose. Believe in yourself and those around you. When the world wants to knock you down, you better get back up. Don't stay on the ground. It doesn’t have to be a show choir or drama performance to mean something, but the fire does have to be there. Passion is how you find out who you are. It's how you discover something worth giving your everything for.

I was introduced to this show back when it was still young and I loved every episode of it. After six seasons and several albums, I was sad to see it go. But I continued to support it through buying the rest of the albums and listening to them whenever I needed some words of encouragement. Now that it’s on Netflix I have gone back and rewatched so many of my favorite moments. Most of these episodes have to do with comradery and friendship. That is what being a Gleek is about. Holding each other up when the rest of the world wants to tear you down. This fan base doesn't stop believing because that is how the phenomenon started. We wouldn't want to let that go for the world.

Being a fan of anything means you love it with everything you’ve got. It means that yes you might be seen as obsessive but living without emotions or caring about something that deeply is boring. To truly be apart of something special you have to make it that way. In my short nearly 21 years of life, I have been teased and pushed around because of things I’m passionate about. But I stand tall, embrace who I am and fight against those who pushed me down because I have learned that you can’t just allow people to do that. You have to believe in yourself the point where you stop worrying what others think. Be you in all forms. You have to publicly enjoy what it is you have a passion for instead of keeping it a secret because you are ashamed or fear what others have to say. If we live without this fire in our hearts what is the point?

To many, Glee was just a show, nothing more and nothing less. But it broke barriers in such amazing ways. That much diversity had never been seen before on American TV. It also (to me) gave excitement to the somewhat mundane rehearsals of show choir. “Glee versions” of songs are still being used today in choirs all over the place. They are more popular as high schoolers and choir teachers alike are discovering this gem. Each episode had a lesson about creativity. It’s about changing yourself in a time when it is most important to do so: High School. Each and every character has a unique backstory right up to the very end. The storytelling is the most developmentally advanced of any show I have seen in a long time. It knew its audience and grew with us. As the times changed the show changed. It began a revolution that will not stop. We as fans will keep the light on. We won’t let this fire dim to a dull spark. We’re a part of this as much as the cast is. In order to be special you have to be a part of something special. The world found that with Glee. It will still inspire for years to come.