Something To Consider Going Into "Cuffing Season"

It's always an awkward time for certain people.
0

It's that time of year again..."cuffing season" is just around the corner. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, it basically means the time of year when everyone starts to get into relationships. You see this most around the start of winter and, of course, around Valentine's Day. Sure, for those getting into relationships, it's a wonderful time; perhaps they have found the love of their life, or maybe it's just a fling. Either way, they at least seem happy. But, let's be real, for those who go year after year being single during Valentine's Day, it kind of starts to suck. Some start to wonder if they'll be "forever alone" or if they're not good enough for someone to finally "cuff them." As someone who has spent every Valentine's Day single, hear me out for a second.

Just because you are single, does not mean that you are not worthy of someone's time. It does not mean that you are unlovable. It does not mean that you will never find someone. The truth of the matter is, maybe you just haven't found someone that's worthy of your time. Maybe you're just waiting for the right person that is the best fit for you at this stage in your life. Maybe you're not. Maybe you're not looking for anyone at all. That's totally cool too. But for those who seem like they will never find Mr. Right, you will. You might not find them today, tomorrow, or the next day. You might not find them this month or this year, but one day you will. I promise. It's okay if you pass up potential opportunities because you don't think that person is right for you, or because they don't meet your standards. It's important to have standards, for your significant others and for yourself. It's important to know what you're looking for. As someone who has pretty high standards, I understand the struggle of not really being able to find someone who is the "perfect" fit for me or my standards. I might only be 20, but I like to see financial stability, strong work ethic, dedication, an idea of a future career path (if they're not on one already), among other generic things. That might sound crazy, because who thinks of things that serious at a young age? Me. And I'm sure plenty of other people. I'm not saying everyone has to think this way, because they absolutely do not. But if you feel as though your standards are too high, they probably aren't. You can always adjust or change them if you want to, but don't settle for someone who is completely wrong for you just so that you can be with someone during a time of year that can be a little lonely for some.

You will find someone who is right for you, and believe me, there is zero rush to do it during the "most romantic time of the year." You will find them when the time is right. You should always put yourself first; better yourself, treat yo self, be yourself. Then worry about bringing someone else into your life. It's okay to be single, it's okay to wait. Do what is best for you. Don't let cuffing season bring you down!

Plus, that's what Gal-entine's Day (or Guy-entine's Day for the boys) is for! Go out to dinner with your friends, give each other cards and chocolate, and share a few laughs. Being single does not mean you have to spend Valentine's Day alone!

And for the couples out there: be safe, make good choices, and have a great time sharing each other's company!