'Someone Great' Captures The Fears Of Being In Love In 2019
Dating

'Someone Great' Captures The Fears Of Falling In Love In 2019

Ugly cries whole movie

1257
Pexels.com

Being a young adult dating in 2019 is kinda scary, from swiping on Tinder to eyeing the cute boy in class there are so many unspoken rules. People have become so scared of not only rejection but the possibility of a real relationship. Young adults fear intimacy and the vulnerability that comes with being in love.

In Someone Great directed by Jennifer Kaytin Robinson viewers are introduced to Jenny, Erin, and Blair. Three best friends navigating through love in their own ways. The plot centers around Jenny, played by Gina Rodriguez, and the ending of her nine year relationship. YES, nine years. That is a looooong time, like I can barely commit to buying a succulent. In those nine years she and her love interest Nate, played by Lakeith Stanfield, fall in love over Chinese food, walks in the park, and genuine support of each other. So what's the flaw in their relationship?

Well, Jenny says it best, "I guess sometimes things don't break, they shatter, but when you let the light in, shattered glass will glitter." Their relationship wasn't perfect but it was real and unfiltered. Their relationship didn't end because of one big thing, but a bunch of little things, but their time together wasn't a mistake. I think their relationship is what young adults fear the most, loving someone so deeply but not having it work out. We as a generation need to stop fearing love and start seeing the beauty in it again, even if it isn't meant to last forever.