There's Always Someone Who Cares

There's Always Someone Who Cares

God showed me that no matter how I feel, I'm surrounded by love.
13

A few weeks ago, I experienced something that genuinely confirmed my belief in God. It confirmed to me that even though we can't physically see or hear God, He is present in our day to day lives and He does communicate to us.

In the midst of finals, papers and presentations, I was having a pretty bad day. It was one of those days where no matter what, you can't shake that feeling of loneliness and homesickness. Despite being in a dorm surrounded by girls, I felt pretty alone. We all have those days, but in the moment, it's hard to remember everyone feels like that sometimes. In college, when separated from your family, tense about school, and everyone is busy and stressed with their own busy schedules, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking "nobody here cares about me."

In the midst of my terrible, no good, very bad day, I felt in my heart something telling me to go pray in my dorm building's chapel. I really never go in the chapel- it's dark and definitely haunted- but for some reason, I felt like I really just needed to. So, I went and sat in the very last pew, completely alone in a dimly lit, ghost-filled chapel, and prayed.

Even though I was just praying to get through finals week, I heard another little voice both in the back of my head and in my heart telling me I had to go look at the book of prayer intentions in the back of the chapel. I've never in my life looked at that book, but in that moment I knew God needed me to.

The most recent prayer request written down? For Colleen Zewe.

I was shocked. I had no clue who had written it, but there it was, my name, the most recent one. Clearly, God had wanted me to see this.

In the midst of all my lonely, homesick feelings, somebody at this school cared about me and was even praying for me. I don't know who it is, but somebody had me in their heart and thoughts.

I really believe my experience in the chapel was proof God exists, listens to our prayers, and responds to our needs. I, in the midst of my homesickness, needed to see that no matter how alone I feel, I'm actually surrounded by amazing, loving friends. God directed me to the chapel to see my name written in that prayer book to give me that reminder. Why would I feel it so unbelievably necessary to go to a chapel I never normally do, and look at book I've never looked at before?

Despite the thousands of students, college feels like a lonely place sometimes. That's normal. But when you start to drown in those lonely feelings, it's important to remember that there is always somebody out there in the world that loves you. Always. You may not know who it is or where they are, but somebody out there has a special place for you in their heart, and no matter what, you are never alone.